iMac Ethernet Issues - Speed Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tech0925, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

Hello,

I bought my iMac around 9 months ago.

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    Memory 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Just like my previous iMac, I am already having issues with the ethernet port. It completely does not work. The only way I can get online is by using the WIFI. After having 2 iMacs to do this, I know there has to be a solution. If anyone here is a developer of any sort, you know that being forced to use WIFI over ethernet sucks!

I tried deleting the Network ethernet option and adding it back like I seen on other post. However, this did not work. Can someone please advise to how to get it back up and running?

I know it is still good b/c the other day I did a system restore from apple and it worked for about 2 days before going out again. It always says that the Cable is Unplugged.

Speed Issues

Regarding the memory, does the below image look right? I upgraded the memory in order to make things faster about 6 months ago but that did not seem to help. My previous iMac seemed way faster out of the box than this new one!

[​IMG]

2. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

Image isn't working for me, sorry.

In terms of Ethernet issues what exactly are you trying to connect too? do you have a link light up on either the switch or the mac?

In terms of resolution here's a few tips:

1. Swap out cables.
    2. Turn of auto speed negotiation.
    3. Try full an non duplex options.

It's hard to believe, in this day an age there's still plenty of connectivity issues between machines and switches. I see it frequently at work with patches being rolled out frequently at either end (device and switch).

3. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks for the suggestion.

The light on the back of the modem and the iMac do not flash. Not real sure there is even a light on the iMac but I know it does not flash and neither does the modem. Other ethernet connections on the back of the modem do flash and work fine. Just not the mac.

I'll try those suggestions and get back to you :)

Charter Modem Info
    Model: SMCD3GNV
    http://na.smc.com/products/residential/voice/smcd3gnv/

4. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks!

:eek: #1 fixed it! It was a bad ethernet cable. I'm guessing maybe a surge got it or something. I just made another one and it works great again.

Thanks buddy!

5. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

You'd be surprised how many times this has fixed connectivity issues.