iMac Ethernet Recognition issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StealthscrapE, Jul 31, 2011.

1. StealthscrapE macrumors member

I just moved and got verizon FiOS service. The tech came out and hooked everything up and I'm having an issue getting my mac to connect via ethernet.

iMac (Early 2008)
    Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Build 10J869)

The router/modem they gave me is the Actiontec MI424WR (Rev E).

So the problem is, when I connect the iMac through the router via ethernet, neither device recognizes each other. The computer says the ethernet is disconnected, and the router's LAN ports don't light up when I connect. I tried different ethernet cables as well. I don't have problems with my PS3, netbook, or tv via ethernet. Just the iMac. And I can connect via wireless on the iMac with no problem.

If I run one of the LAN ports from the router to the WAN port on my Airport Extreme, and then LAN from the Airport to the iMac, setting the Airport as a bridge, it connects fine. I'm at a loss and hoping that someone here may be able to help me out. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you using a blank network profile? If you aren't, it's probably expecting an IP address from a DHCP server that it can't find (like your AEBS).

3. StealthscrapE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I'm not very network savvy, Just the basic ability to set-up a wireless network and such, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by blank network profile. If I go into my system preferences > Networking, in ethernet it says "Cable unplugged - Either a cable is unplugged or the device at the other end is not responding". I can't figure this out. . .

4. StealthscrapE thread starter macrumors member

Got it to work.....

I went digging through the settings after your post and clicked ethernet, just kept making sure everything was set to automatic, and under advanced continued hitting "Renew DHCP Lease". Everything was blank there under "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP", so I figured if I could get it to reset those fields I may be good. After doing that a few times, it finally changed to "No IP Adress" and then to "Connected" and all of the fields filled in. So whatever happened worked. :)

5. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Correct cable

Are you sure you are using a correct Cat 5 or 6 ethernet cable and not a patch cable for connecting two computers together by their ethernet ports. The cables can look identical. I would try another cable.

Wilson