IMac Evaluation Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by briwslave1, Jun 3, 2014.

1. briwslave1 macrumors newbie

How do I check the stats of a used IMac for sale. Looks good but had a really pretty girlfriend once that turned out to be a bummer! lol Help me please in laymen terms like Help For Dummies!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What I do when I see a used iMac for sale in one of those "authorized resellers" is I download geekbench and run it. For instance I saw a used iMac at a place called ithings (or something like that) at Oakland Mall the other day. I downloaded and ran Geekbench on it when the guy started talking some sort of hype about how it had a super fast core 2 duo processor. Sure enough, it was true. Geekbench reported faster results than were typical for an iMac of that vintage and it reported the cpu type as just what the sales guy was saying. I had to click through several screens trying to sell me stuff but I just ran geekbench 3 in evaluation mode and when it submitted results to primatelabs.ca, I was able to (with some effort) browse around and see how the machine I was testing fared against similar vintage iMacs.

Another way to tell is a free iPhone app called Mactracker. It allows you to look up specs on every Apple computer ever made. If you know the model number from the label on the back of the machine or if you know what is reported in "About this Mac" you should have enough information to look up the machine in Mactracker.

What you want is a machine that can run not only Mavericks but Yosemite. The last thing you want is a machine you buy today that can't run the version of OSX that is coming out in a few months. Once you have figured out the machine vintage, ie "late 2008 24 inch iMac." you should be able to find out if it is able to run Yosemite. If the machine you are looking at is the oldest on the list of machines that can run the newest OS, I suggest you consider something newer. Since Apple releases OSX annually and it's always free, you want to be able to continue to upgrade as long as possible and buying a machine that can barely run Mavericks or barely run Yosemite is a recipe for getting "voted off the island" in 2015.