Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I have an old iMac (I think around 2008 or so) and am considering replacing it with a current iMac. My iMac sits on a computer desk between two side shelves which are spaced exactly 21.5” apart. The Apple specs for the current iMac say it is 21.5 inches wide but if you back convert from the metric specification, it comes out to be a little over 21.5 inches wide. So basically, in one case it is a close call. In another case it is a no go. For those of you with the current iMac, can you measure the width and let me know exactly (to the tenth of an inch) how wide it is? If it doesn’t fit I may put a riser under it so the bottom of the main body is above the side shelves. Thanks.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Apple on their website says 54.7 cm which is 21.535 inches.
Which sounds a lot more accurate than “to the tenth of an inch”….

Last edited:

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Apple on their website says 54.7 cm which is 21.535 inches.
Which sounds a lot more accurate than “to the tenth of an inch”….
I saw that too. The Apple site says 21.5 inches and 54.7 centimeters. If you convert the 21.5 inches to centimeters you get 54.61 centimeters. On the other hand, if you convert the 54.7 cm to inches you get 21.535 inches. So there is a rounding in the web measurements which is why I was hoping someone would measure their iMac so I can see if it fits my desk.

What I’m looking for is if it is actually less than 21.5 inches wide (which is the width of my desk opening) and Apple rounds it up to 2.15 inches which makes sense from a manufacturer standpoint so that it fits in a 21.5 inch wide space.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What I’m looking for is if it is actually less than 21.5 inches wide (which is the width of my desk opening) and Apple rounds it up to 2.15 inches which makes sense from a manufacturer standpoint so that it fits in a 21.5 inch wide space.
The specs from Apple are correct. It's a little over 21.5". This is the M1 iMac, but I doubt the M3 version is different.

tempImagePuHADt.png

Last edited:

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
So you have exactly no room for the built in DVD drive on the right side?
I thought the current version doesn’t have a DVD drive. My current one does but it is near the top so it works just fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think that, realistically, you're gonna have to find another place to put it.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I think that, realistically, you're gonna have to find another place to put it.
I’m hoping that if raise the base up a couple inches the bottom of the iMac’s chin will be above the desk shelves on the sides. It is six inches from top of the mid shelf the iMac sits on to the top of the top shelf so I only need to raise the iMac a little.

p.s. I think this may be the last model iMac actually made in the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 66

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I’m hoping that if raise the base up a couple inches the bottom of the iMac’s chin will be above the desk shelves on the sides. It is six inches from top of the mid shelf the iMac sits on to the top of the top shelf so I only need to raise the iMac a little.

p.s. I think this may be the last model iMac actually made in the USA.
There's nothing that a good jigsaw can't solve...
:p

• Wow
Reactions: DaveN

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I’m hoping that if raise the base up a couple inches the bottom of the iMac’s chin will be above the desk shelves on the sides.
Have you thought about buying a VESA version of the iMac. You have to special order it - conversion cannot be done after manufacturing (unlike years ago where certain iMac models could be changed out for a VESA mount.)

I'm thinking of going that way for my own needs.

With a VESA version - which will break the aesthetics by not having the iMac colored stand but that's the price for functionality - you can get either a stand or arm, that can be attached (or sat upon) your desk. You can even get wall mounts.

Reactions: Chuckeee

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Have you thought about buying a VESA version of the iMac. You have to special order it - conversion cannot be done after manufacturing (unlike years ago where certain iMac models could be changed out for a VESA mount.)

I'm thinking of going that way for my own needs.

With a VESA version - which will break the aesthetics by not having the iMac colored stand but that's the price for functionality - you can get either a stand or arm, that can be attached (or sat upon) your desk. You can even get wall mounts.
I did but decided against as I wanted the classic look for sentimental reasons. I looked at some of the available stands and thought that would be the best option for me as I can put some of my supplies inside the stand and it will look organized. Plus the desk is pretty close to the wall so the arm holding the iMac would have limited movement. I also considered buying a loaded 16” MacBook Pro but I really don’t need all that power. I’m retired so I can work anywhere but that also means I’m an old fart and I really felt that I needed to have a dedicated spot to do my computer work which is mostly light photo and video editing and book work. To me having a spot to lay out my paperwork was the way to go. For web browsing I sit on my sofa and use my iPad. I ordered my iMac this afternoon. Maxed out everything as I figured I’m keeping it for a long time just like I did with the one in the photo.

Reactions: picpicmac

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I did but decided against as I wanted the classic look for sentimental reasons.
Understand. If I order an iMac I will almost certainly go with a VESA version but I constantly ask myself if I will regret giving up the classic look.

I ordered my iMac this afternoon. Maxed out everything as I figured I’m keeping it for a long time just like I did with the one in the photo.
I wish to do the same. My current iMac is quite old and I hoped to replace it with one that will last over a decade.

Alas, I am not certain that is possible any more. Part of me fears that the computer industry is on the cusp of another consolidation wave that will also put to the forefront the touch-pad/voice-activation paradigm as the way people should use computing devices even for the tasks we old fuddy-duddy types are used to with our old-fashioned QWERTY keyboards and pointing devices.

The current iMac is already a giant iPad on a stand. Rotate it clockwise 90 degrees and the UI will also change like an iPad. All Apple has to do is add a touch-screen.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I wish to do the same. My current iMac is quite old and I hoped to replace it with one that will last over a decade.

Alas, I am not certain that is possible any more. Part of me fears that the computer industry is on the cusp of another consolidation wave that will also put to the forefront the touch-pad/voice-activation paradigm as the way people should use computing devices even for the tasks we old fuddy-duddy types are used to with our old-fashioned QWERTY keyboards and pointing devices.

The current iMac is already a giant iPad on a stand. Rotate it clockwise 90 degrees and the UI will also change like an iPad. All Apple has to do is add a touch-screen.
The good thing is that since we are a couple iterations into Apple silicon, Apple will support this version for a good stretch of time and even if they don’t software is at the point where what is out there now will fill old timer needs for a some time. My iMac was long in the tooth for some time and I picked up a refurbed 2012 Mini from Apple when they ended that model and went with the soldered ram. That was fast at the time and I put in my own ram and a few years later added an SSD (wow big improvement) and then added a second internal SSD. But alas, that too is aging out and I need to keep one boot drive using an older OS so I can keep running Aperture for some photos and one drive with one version newer so I can do my tax returns.

A big ah ha moment for me was when exported a couple vacation slide shows as videos. The Mini took a long time and could do no better than 1080 HD. Two years ago I bought an iPad and did the same conversion. This time is was a much faster output and it was in 4k! Nice but since I don’t have a 4k tv I had to watch it on a neighbor’s tv to see the difference. I do wish Apple offered the faster M3 chips in the iMac but realistically, I’m sure it will more than fill my needs for years to come.

Reactions: picpicmac

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
We still get phone books where I am, but they've gradually got smaller and smaller. They're down to about 1 cm thick now!

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah I know my desk is a mess but here it is. Elevated with two phone books for now.
I think I had a similar desk like that one before. Except only one 3rd level shelf on the left side. Also we haven't received a phone book in over 5 years.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I think I had a similar desk like that one before. Except only one 3rd level shelf on the left side. Also we haven't received a phone book in over 5 years.
I like the desk. I think I’ve had it for about fifteen years now. Used it a lot a first. Then my iMac got old and I used a 2012 Mac Mini with a big tv as the monitor but my eyes are getting old (guess that means I am too) and sitting close to a big TV just isn’t something I want to do so I updated the iMac.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Yeah I know my desk is a mess but here it is. Elevated with two phone books for now.
View attachment 2353959
Happy to see you went for it and found a way around the "width dilemma". Now I think you have a new project: to get your desk to match the iMac simplicity aesthetic. I bet most of that stuff can be put in a drawer or closet. Organization has done wonders for my state of mind.

Also bonus points for getting the trackpad+mouse. I did that too since we can't buy the color coded devices later on.

Reactions: rocketbuc and DaveN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.