Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
i m gaming on a old imac with gtx 680mx.

i overclocked the gpu and i have

- 90°c (93° max) gpu
- 70°c (76°max )CPU

iMacDonald

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
i m gaming on a old imac with gtx 680mx.

i overclocked the gpu and i have

- 90°c (93° max) gpu
- 70°c (76°max )CPU
Still less than some of the 7700K reports I've seen.

I really wish there was an option to get the non clocked 7700 i7 in the 27 iMac. :(

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I did this for 5 years with 0 issues. From my experiences the perfect 680MX overclock is +250/+375 (MSI Afterburner), anymore and the temp starts to rise noticeably with no real performance gain. Also higher overclocks than this can give random reboots in dx11+ games, probably from drawing more power than the iMac PSU can handle.

Also use Macs Fan Control for Bootcamp, and set a static fan speed like 2250-2350rpm for the most demanding games. Your GPU temperatures should stay within the 80s (Celsius). This is with the assumption that your 680MX unit behaves similar to what mine did.

Don't forget to cap the framerate at 59 (MSI Afterburner), which reduce triple buffered vsync lag (use D3DOverrider), and avoids that the GPU works harder than it needs to (ie. avoid unnecessary GPU heat).

Last edited:
Reactions: Retromac2008

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
I did this for 5 years with 0 issues. From my experiences the perfect 680MX overclock is +250/+375 (MSI Afterburner), anymore and the temp starts to rise noticeably with no real performance gain. Also higher overclocks than this can give random reboots in dx11+ games, probably from drawing more power than the iMac PSU can handle.

Also use Macs Fan Control for Bootcamp, and set a static fan speed like 2250-2350rpm for the most demanding games. Your GPU temperatures should stay within the 80s (Celsius). This is with the assumption that your 680MX unit behaves similar to what mine did.

Don't forget to cap the framerate at 59 (MSI Afterburner), which reduce triple buffered vsync lag (use D3DOverrider), and avoids that the GPU works harder than it needs to (ie. avoid unnecessary GPU heat).

wow, thank you for the report

i m glad it s safe, but it s impossible to stay under 80° :(
actually it s always at 90° when gaming

my oc is exactly the same, and i had problems only with the last nvidia driver (the last 2 days) with overwatch

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
No problem. :) I wish Apple would use Nvidia GPUs again. If you need a new driver, you can just go to Nvidia.com, and get the latest official one. With AMD things are more complicated, though Apple is to blame for this. Afaik it's Apple who wants control the Bootcamp driver, which is utter nonsense.

As far as the higher temperature, it could be down to playing newer games being more taxing on the GPU. You could always turn down the overclock a bit for those games, which I would sometimes do during hot periods in the summer months.

Reactions: Retromac2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.