iMac Expansion Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by silvetti, Jun 24, 2014.

1. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Hey guys,

I have an iMac with 256SSD, I chose SSD vs Fusion due to the fact that I wanted the least possible noise next to my face.

But now I need space :D

I want to move my iTunes/Aperture Library and maybe some apps (non demanding ones) to an external drive.

My idea would be something like a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 drive.

Do you think this is enough for the usage I plan on giving it ?

I would like, if possible of running some Mac games from it as well, not really worried if loading times would be longer than usual... just if it would work.

Any other suggestion besides the Seagate ?

Thanks!

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

It sounds like you don't have a backup drive for Time Machine backups, which is dangerous in my opinion. If your SSD dies, you lose everything.

The Time Machine backup drive should be at least 50% larger than the drives you're backing up, so I would recommend at least a 3-4TB hard drive for Time Machine.

No matter whether it is SSD or HDD, you cannot rely on them to last forever, and you should keep a regular backup set with Time Machine at least.

So in the end, I would recommend getting 2 external hard drives, one for your photo/itunes libraries and the other larger one for Time Machine.

3. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I do have a time machine backup drive. Basically I have a wd green 1tb plugged in to an AirPort Extreme 6th gen.

So I'm covered for now :)

Just really wondering if anyone has experience running any apps from USB 3.0 external drive (7200rpm one)?