Imac External Display Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by justynaz, Oct 20, 2013.

1. justynaz macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2013

I have a 27-inch Imac (mid 2011) that I am trying to use as a main display connected to MacPro 13-inch (Mid 2012) via Mini DisplayPort made by Belkin. I then pressed the command+F2 with no luck as well as Command+F2+fn with also nothing. Screens remain the same. I have the MacPro plugged into power.

I am not sure what else to do! :(

Help me troubleshoot :)
  2. aggri1 macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2010
    The 2011 iMac has a Thuderbolt port. To use an iMac which has Thunderbolt ports as a display, as you are trying to do, you need to use a Thunderbolt cable, not a mini-Displayport cable.

That's all.

If the iMac were an older 27" one, without Thunderbolt ports, then you could use just a mini-Displayport cable.

Good luck.
  3. strukt macrumors member

Aug 8, 2012
    Its not enough with just an thunderbolt cable. The Mac you want use as source for your display also need to be equipped with a thunderbolt port.
  4. DLary macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    The mid-2011 iMac and the mid-2012 Macbook Pro are both Thunderbolt equipped. Aggri1 is correct, use a Thunderbolt cable instead of a Displayport cable and it should work.
  5. justynaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2013
    Ahhh I see.

Thank you everyone. Hopefully this will end my 2 week trials and tribulations (and heartache), will try it out tomorrow!