iMac external HD speed for gaming/windows?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Animation, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Animation macrumors newbie

Animation

All,

I just bought the 27" iMac with the quad core i7 setup from my local Apple store. Its awesome. I'm thinking about putting windows 7 on for dual boot, in case I want to do windows-specific gaming. While I could partition my 1 TB drive (to, say, 600/400 or 700/300 in favor of the iMac side) I was wondering about the possibility of external drives.

Would any modern 2.0 USB-powered external hard drive be adequate for installing Windows 7 on, and would it work specifically for gaming? Or am I better off just doing the partition on my internal drive? What about firewire 800? Etc.

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I really wouldn't recommend running games from an external. That would be far far slower than partitioning your internal drive

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You'd be better off partitioning your internal HDD, but if you really want to run stuff from an external HDD, get a FW800 drive. Don't go with USB. I've booted off a clone on a triple interface drive (USB 2, FW400, FW800) and there's a noticeable difference. FW800 > FW400 > USB 2 - but internal disk access is much better than any external.

4. Animation thread starter macrumors newbie

Animation

OK then. I may just go with the internal re-partition option. I'm suddenly wishing I'd bought from the online store so I could ge a 2 TB drive. :) No worries.

Can I re-partition my drive in place? I've barely installed anything on it (COH, Office for Mac).

Also, does anyone know the approximate size that Windows 7 will need? How small can I make my partition and still get the OS and 1 or 2 big games on it?

Thanks for the fast and kind replies!

5. jinx5000 macrumors member