iMac external monitor now pink?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oVerboost, Sep 26, 2018.

1. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Updated my 2017 iMac 27" to Mojave without any issues, however when I plug in my external display/2nd display the whole think has a pink tint.

I've tried calibrating it, changing settings on the TV itself but cannot work out why it's changed.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

"Updated my 2017 iMac 27" to Mojave without any issues"

It appears your first sentence is false

3. jerwin macrumors 68020

Have you tried calibrating your monitor? Nighsthift Mode would probably give both monitors a pink cast, so that's probably not the primary culprit. Also, be sure that the connectors are firmly seated.

4. oVerboost thread starter macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Checked all connectors, and did calibrate the display but was still like it’s got a pink filter. It may be the non genuine hdmi adapter, but it worked fine last week when I used it. Strange.

5. droog, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

droog Suspended

droog

Damn, I guess Macs do need maintenance after all.
    p.s. get a new hdmi cord.
    p.p.s. They are all the same pretty much. Please don't be an idiot and buy certified mac ones or anything else with an inflated price..

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "It may be the non genuine hdmi adapter..."

I sense the core of the problem may be here, in the connection.
    If you have displayport on the monitor, use that instead.
    You need a "USB-c to displayport" cable.

IMPORTANT:
    BE SURE that BEFORE you buy, you carefully read the reviews to ascertain that the cable you're buying is "known to work" with a 2017 iMac.
    SOME USb-c to displayport cables work with pre-2017 Macs, but DO NOT WORK properly with 2017 and later Macs.
    Again, you must exercise your due diligence and check this out before buying!

If that doesn't work...
    I'd consider going back to High Sierra for now...

7. oVerboost thread starter macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Hardly maintenance is it... besides, this is on a brand new iMac not the 2011 model - that's now enjoying an easy life in my parents house being used to surf the web and play music, no more hard work for that thing lol.

It's not a major issue as I can cast stuff to the external display through the Chromecast, but will probably get a better quality adapter, the cable isn't the issue as I've tested a brand new one and it's the same with that, so has to be the adapter I think, or the settings on my Panasonic TV (when used as a BIG secondary monitor).