iMac failing disk verification but passing Tech Tool test

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bubbasteve, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Hello MR community, I come to you this fine central Illinois morning with a dilemma on my hands. I had the misfortune of going through my first Mac computer crash a few days ago and after reinstalling Leopard and all that jazz I ran disk utility for sh*ts and giggles and to my dismay found that it failed the disk verification.

I later downloaded Tech Tool Deluxe from Apple and that too claimed that my Volume Structure was corrupt. Thus, I burned TTD to a disk, booted from it (like it instructed me to) and repaired the volume structure with little to any problem.

Before I booted back into OSX I made sure it worked fine from TTD, which eventually showed it was.

After booting back into OSX I ran Disk Utility and had the same response from them

"Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid sibling link
    The volume iMac HD needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.
    "

FWIW -- Repair Disk is not a clickable option for me but I did pass the repair disk permissions and verify disk permissions.

Another thing that worries me is that the "Invalid sibling link" error means that it's not my version of OSX (which it is, it's from my installation disks)

I'm basically asking if I should erase and restore my hard drive and yet again install OSX, or is it not that big of an issue since TTD passes it.

2. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Nevermind, according to Apple Care the problem is with the hdd and the best solution is to just bring it to an Apple store to fix