iMac failing TechTool Deluxe test (hard drive)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MythicFrost, Apr 9, 2011.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

So, my iMac's failing two tests that the TechTool Deluxe app runs, they are:

This is very disturbing... is my hard drive dying? Repairing permissions as we speak.

I've got two partitions, 500GB for Windows 7 and 1.5TB for Mac OS X 10.6.7. 12GB 1066MHz RAM, 27" i7 @ 2.8GHz, 09 model iMac, 4850M 512MB, 2 TB HD.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Repairing permissions absolutely with 100% certain will NOT fix your issue. In fact, it won't fix 99.999% of the issues out there for which people run it. You're wasting time by repairing permissions.

Really.

Next, as a professional, I don't use Tech Tool Pro, as the last time I used it, it was a piece of junk. It passed graphics cards that didn't exist, it passed RAM that was barely good enough for the machine to boot, It corrupted directory structures, etc... The only thing it was decent for was a surface scan. Do that. If it fails, then yes, your hard drive is dying. If it passes a surface scan, then get another tool to fix the directory structure: Disk Warrior.

The text that you posted implies that what you ran was a limited surface scan, and it failed that, so that would also imply your hard drive is dying.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ahaha won't it? But at least it makes me feel better. Ahaha :p good to know, thank you.
    After repairing permissions I "verified" disk and found two errors one for the directory count and another for the volume count, they were both one more or less than they should be. I booted into Mac OS X and ran the Disk Repair as it suggested and it fixed both the problems. Although, TTP still fails one of them IIRC, verify disk shows its fine. Thanks!