iMac fails to boot at all...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jman2k, May 28, 2015.

1. jman2k macrumors newbie

Good afternoon all,

I am stuck and in need of some help...

I have a Core2Duo 3.06 27' iMac that fails to get past the spinning gear screen...Worked fine then just froze once before failing now to boot at all..

I have tried to boot into safe mode - just get a grey screen asking for normal password which I enter, to which it then just goes back to the spinning gear..
    I have tried single user mode - no joy
    I have tried target disk from another 27" iMac no joy
    I have put the original discs in to try and boot from disc for a restore etc no joy...

Bit lost now and any ideas very much welcomed.. Simple language though as I am a novice lol

Regards

J

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You need to carefully read Apple's instructions in "Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup' article. It is located at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204325
    Once you have read it, carefully execute each step as explained. If the machine still will not boot follow the steps in "Learn more" section.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

It looks like that is a 2009 iMac. If the iMac was running fine before this happened, then it could be a Hard Drive failure. Many 2009 iMacs had problem Seagate drives and for a while Apple had a recall on them.

Do you have an external backup or other external drive you could try booting from? How about the original boot disk that came with that iMac?

4. jman2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tried to boot from the original discs yet I hear the disc start to load yet the good ol' grey screen with spinning gear shows instead....

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like a hard drive failure to me, but it could be a logic board failure.

You can only take it to someone and get it diagnosed, or replace the hard drive not (not easy) and hope it works).

see here for details

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1634