iMac fails to boot at all...

jman2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Good afternoon all,

I am stuck and in need of some help...

I have a Core2Duo 3.06 27' iMac that fails to get past the spinning gear screen...Worked fine then just froze once before failing now to boot at all..

I have tried to boot into safe mode - just get a grey screen asking for normal password which I enter, to which it then just goes back to the spinning gear..
I have tried single user mode - no joy
I have tried target disk from another 27" iMac no joy
I have put the original discs in to try and boot from disc for a restore etc no joy...

Bit lost now and any ideas very much welcomed.. Simple language though as I am a novice lol

Regards

J

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Good afternoon all,

I am stuck and in need of some help...

I have a Core2Duo 3.06 27' iMac that fails to get past the spinning gear screen...Worked fine then just froze once before failing now to boot at all..

I have tried to boot into safe mode - just get a grey screen asking for normal password which I enter, to which it then just goes back to the spinning gear..
I have tried single user mode - no joy
I have tried target disk from another 27" iMac no joy
I have put the original discs in to try and boot from disc for a restore etc no joy...

Bit lost now and any ideas very much welcomed.. Simple language though as I am a novice lol

Regards

J
You need to carefully read Apple's instructions in "Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup' article. It is located at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204325
Once you have read it, carefully execute each step as explained. If the machine still will not boot follow the steps in "Learn more" section.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
It looks like that is a 2009 iMac. If the iMac was running fine before this happened, then it could be a Hard Drive failure. Many 2009 iMacs had problem Seagate drives and for a while Apple had a recall on them.

Do you have an external backup or other external drive you could try booting from? How about the original boot disk that came with that iMac?

jman2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
It looks like that is a 2009 iMac. If the iMac was running fine before this happened, then it could be a Hard Drive failure. Many 2009 iMacs had problem Seagate drives and for a while Apple had a recall on them.

Do you have an external backup or other external drive you could try booting from? How about the original boot disk that came with that iMac?

Have tried to boot from the original discs yet I hear the disc start to load yet the good ol' grey screen with spinning gear shows instead....

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.