iMac fails to sleep after update to 10.5.7 *SOLVED*

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Southern, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Hi Guys,

Following the new software update, my iMac refuses to sleep, either by pressing the power button or manually selecting sleep. It turns off, then the CD tray tries to eject a non-existent CD and the machine starts up again.

Oddly enough it seems to sleep absolutely fine after a shut down but as soon as I open and then close apps (mail, firefox3, itunes) it repeats this weird bug.

Is there anything I can do to solve this? It's been fine up until I installed successive versions of Leopard

2. Southern thread starter macrumors regular

Southern

Ok interesting things I have found:

Zapped PRAM (did nothing)
    Ran disk first aid (safe mode, from leopard disc and Mac HD) - turns out there's a bucketload of permissions that don't get fixed no matter what I do.
    Turned off SMC Fan Controller

None of the above worked.

HOWEVER!!!

I had heard that Apple iMacs boot on USB signal, so I pulled all the plugs out and it slept fine. I narrowed it down to a third party USB mouse that I like using (hate the mouse nub) which was stopping it from sleeping as it was constantly powered on.

Lesson learned - Apple OSX is very finnicky with USB devices sending signals even in sleep mode.

I guess my next question is to find out what third party mice don't interfere with sleep mode.

3. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

My Razer Deathadder works fine with sleep

4. Southern thread starter macrumors regular

Southern

Razor Deathadder, good stuff thanks for the suggestion!

I guess I'll have to shell out a bit more for a good quality mouse this time round if I want to avoid problems. Now what happened to that Logitech G5 wired mouse, I wonder if they still sell it :D - I prefer a proper mouse (ie: clearly defined buttons!) for gaming (TF2 and Stalker through Bootcamp and sometimes OpenArena in OSX) because the mighty mouse is more of a limp squid when if comes to fragging.

In case you're wondering the mouse I have had to replace was a mongrel brand / strange mouse I bought in Germany (I was a British student studying/teaching English at the time) that comes from a brand called "Manhattan". I can't recommend them if it causes a problem like this.