iMac Fan acting up?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, Apr 8, 2013.

1. macdudesir macrumors 6502

So my iMacs optical drive fan is acting the opposite of usual...Let me first start by saying that after an optical drive fan replacement, the fans have never run perfectly (as in the HDD and ODD fan will run like 50rpm over their idle 24/7) but recently, ive noticed that the ODD fan is speeding up a lot more than before (before, the GPU had to be at least 70C before it responded). I noticed if i put a CD in the ODD, the fan goes directly to idle, whereas before, the ODD fan would kick on to cool the ODD when there is a CD in, and when there wasnt, it didnt kick in at all...so i feel like its backwards...I've attached a pic of my iStat Pro...the Specs of the computer are in the description...Keep in mind these temps were taken after some flash video, skype, internet browsing (10+ tabs), and some combination iPhoto and Final Cut Pro X work, and a restart. The temps from what ive seen are normal considering its 79F ambient. Its just the fan that is abnormal...if i put a CD in (causing the fan to go to 1149rpm) the GPU temp only seems to rise a few degrees, but to test it, i pushed the GPU and as expected, the fan sped up at around 70C. Any ideas? I did do an SMC reset, but i suppose i could have done it wrong...Thanks.

Edit: Also, the HDD fan seems to increase and decrease along with the ODD fan, to a lesser degree...And the CPU fan is acting the same as the day i took the computer out of the box...

Attached Files:

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Fan speed is a little unusual but those temps are fine!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (proper instructions are in the link)
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

4. xrs74 macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no need for that. The OP's temps and fan speeds are perfectly normal.