iMac Fan Help .. Please.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacBoy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

I have the late '09 iMac, it came with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HD, I changed the HD to a 1TB HD because the old hard drive failed completely, now the fans max out to 6000rpm everytime the mac has been on for about half an hour.. its really annoying and i can't hear myself think.

I downloaded some software to control the fans but i am worried incase i let my iMac overheat or something because i have set the speed too slow.

Now can someone please answer this.. Do fans spin at a faster RPM, the bigger the hard driver?

Also is there anything else i could do, or is the software is the only solution.. what shall i set the speed at?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Right thanks, I was never sure whether i connected the cable properly, but as the SMC fan control works and can control the fans, i though that it must be connected because it is controlling it some way? Please correct me if i am wrong and it could still be the cable not connected properly.

Also just did the SMC Reset, the fans are quite now but i can hear them speeding up and in about 15 mins, they will be running max again...

Thanks.

Do Fans run faster if there is a bigger hard drive installed?

4. iMacC2D, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. simsaladimbamba

The fan is still connected, the temp sensor, independent of the fan, seems to be NOT connected, as it doesn't read a proper temp.
    There are a lot of threads discussing this.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

No. Maybe if the HDD is a bit faster (5400 to 7200 RPM upgrade), the temp will be a bit higher, but that will not make the fan spin that much faster.
    I have replaced my 2007 iMac's HDD with a bigger HDD and reconnected the temp sensor successfully and my HDD fan spun at the same speed as before.
    Now I have an SSD in my iMac and the fan still spins at 1226 RPM.

6. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks, i'll open it up and make sure it's connected properly, if not, i'll have to use this software, if i do this, shall i just run it at about 1500rpm (HD fan) ?