iMac fan not working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DaSedge, May 1, 2011.

1. DaSedge macrumors newbie

Hi, I've had a mid-2009 iMac (not sure what the proportions are, it's under the 27") and only recently I've noticed that the fan isn't working. There is no sound whatsoever and the top of the iMac almost burns to the touch. I've tried smcfancontrol and that has no effect. Should I take it in for repairs?

Thanks for any help!

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yes I'd take it in for repair. If it gets too hot other things will start to break down soon enough.

3. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

quick question:

Does the iMac shut down when too hot, like the MacBooks?

4. DaSedge thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac has not shut down as a result of overheating. How much would repair cost and where would I do it? Thanks :)

5. pt0016 macrumors regular

pt0016

Are you sure it's broken? You should check with a fan application such as iStat Nano, as usually the iMac will run very hot on the top even though the fan is fine and running, as heat rises from internal components to the top of the iMac. SMC fan control does not work for all models of Mac's, and even when the iMac is silent, the fan's are still running (unless they have died), as fan's in the iMac are very quiet.

I would think if a fan such as the CPU one were broken, then the iMac would have long overheated and turned off, as the iMac's use desktop CPU's, which generate a lot of heat and require constant fanning to keep it cool.

Just a heads up before you decide to send it in for repair...