iMac fans messed up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by battlekid, Dec 1, 2011.

1. battlekid macrumors regular

Alright, I'm having a few problems with my iMac.

Specs:
    2011 27" iMac (i7-2600, 12GB RAM (4GB from Apple + 8GB third party), 2TB HDD, 6970M 2GB). Works amazing, but I'm having some problems with fans. Plugin I've installed include iStat Menus and smcFanControl, but rebooting and disabling both plugins along with zapping the PRAM and resetting the SMC controller hasn't helped.

Basically, the fans don't really run correctly. After quitting smcFanControl, the fans stay at the same speed, no matter what temperature it is. Then, I disabled it and rebooted, zapping the PRAM/SMC. Fans seemed to work better, but they still don't speed up when the graphics card got hot from gaming.

I've seen graphics temps of nearly 90° C at times, which worries me quite a bit. For now, I've installed smcFanControl and setup several fan speed profiles to keep temps at a good level, and I adjust the speeds as needed to keep the card cool, but I'd rather that the iMac do it itself, instead me having to do it manually.

So, Tl;Dr is that the iMac doesn't really spin it's fans up much when it's under load and getting hot, I have to manually do it, even after resetting everything and disabling fan control apps. Highly annoying, and I'm manually taking care of it for now since I don't want to fry my graphics card.

Running Snow Leopard version 10.6.8.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temperatures are normal. You won't fry your GPU. Modern GPU's can work well up to 110C and sometimes beyond that. If the iMac does get too hot, its will will rev up. If its fans cannot keep the internal parts cool enough, it will force itself off as a safe guard.

3. battlekid thread starter macrumors regular

It just seems rather high to me. Most modern GPUs don't run that hot, and even though the iMac is basically laptop parts in a case that's a fusion between a laptop and a desktop, you wouldn't think that the card would get that hot.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most iMac cards run that hot and they are still within AMD/Nvidia's specifications.