iMac fans running at full speed, but resetting smc won't help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rupie94, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rupie94 macrumors member

I've got a little problem with my iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Nvidia Geforce 8800GS 500GB.
    When I start it up, the fans start blowing at full speed.
    I checked the apple support page for... support and found my problem with all the symptoms being correct. The support said I had to reset the SMC by shutting down the iMac, then removing the power cord and all the other one's, wait 15 seconds and then put the power cord and the other one's in respectively.
    I did this almost 10 times, but my iMac still won't stop making those anoying noises.
    Maybe it has to do with the SMC fancontrol app my brother installed lately... But then I still wouldn't know how to solve this.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I would start be asking my brother to remove whatever he's installed. If that didn't work I would call Applecare. Best wishes.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It will be due to SMC fan control, he probably installed it to get the fans running at higher speeds when playing games, because otherwise they dont, and he probably forgot to lower the speeds again after gaming. To lower the fan speeds go to your bar at the top of your screen, click where it shows your fan speed (it will be a constantly changing number between 2000 and 7000 and an SMC menu will appear, click preferences and drag the slider to the speed you want. (no lower than 2000, you've been warned). When you click exit the fan speeds will return to normal.