iMac fans working harder than they should be?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacBoy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Turns out after my imac died sent it away to apple and after them trying to charge me £450 (lol) to fix it i did it myself changed the hard drive from a 500gb to a 1tb drive and all went well. But i was doing update (snow leopard to lion) and the fans were megga loud whilst downloading really working hard but it was working well kept the imac cool. But now even when im ONLY on safari the fans are running loud.

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an internal H/W problem. Probably a heat sensor or some other H/W problem.

Possible fixes?

A - Return to Apple Store and and get them to fix it. Wonder if they installed proper "new" HDD into your iMac? They might take for a few days to re-format and re-install from scratch. If a H/W problem (based on their special testing tools), they'll probably open the box up. Probably won't get the box back from 5-7 days. Possibly longer.

B - Download a 3rd party FAN control software (as a trial) and see if that works. For example: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39220/hdd-fan-control Download and try for 1 full hour. If this software fixes the fan speed problem, then buy the software. Based on the comments within its post, it appears this 3rd party software can be used if heat sensors are screwed up. And, its helped many others with their fan speed problems.

If wondering, I use 3rd party FAN Software program in my iMac. Not this specific program but a different program. With fan control software, one can control the fan speed themselves. Glad I use fan control software in my iMac.

Hope this helps...

3. Acorn, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i thought i read somewhere that there was a heat sensor on the hard drive connection. i remember reading it somewhere because there is something special you have to do if you install an ssd to fool the sensor so it doesnt think the drive is overheating. maybe try http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Mac and look at the guide and see if you missed anything about a hd sensor.

*edit here it is. there is a jumper block sensor on the hd you need to do something to it. read first post here. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

The only application i am running on my iMac is Safari.
    I do not have any 'background' applications running because my hard drive had a clean install a few days back so i am aware of whats on it.

These are the fan speeds according to 'iStat Pro'

Fans:
    Optical Drive: 997rpm (ish)
    Hard Drive: 5114 (ish)
    CPU Fan: 1199rpm (ish)

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

HDD fan @ 5,114 RPM is way too fast. Me thinks the HDD sensor isn't working properly or its cable is disconnected.