Imac firewire 800 vs Mbox 2 pro firewire400

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imacipapa, Aug 18, 2009.

1. imacipapa macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I have bought a new Imac and I was trying to hook it up with my Mbox 2 Pro. The first thing I noticed was that I had a firewire 800 connection in my new and improved mac and a lousy firewire 400 connection in my mbox.

Soo, I went to the mac store and got a Sonnet 400 to 800 adapter.
    When I plugged in my Mbox to the computer.....nothing happened. My soundcard just blinks with the orange light so there is a connection but that's it. I have Logic Pro 8 installed on my Imac. Do I need drivers for this card with my imac?:confused:

I have not yet installed Pro Tools LE (that comes with the MB2) but when I used this with Logic Pro 8 on my old Mac book it worked fine. However with no adapter between them. Plain old 400/400. :p

So if you got a clue, PLEASE let me know!

Have a nice day folks! :apple:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Return the adapter and get another, or buy a 9-to-6-pin cable. (FW800 on one end, FW400 on the other.) No, you shouldn't need any sort of drivers for this.

3. imacipapa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man,
    so you only think it is the adapter it is something wrong with? Just want to be sure before I get another cable.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The only variables that have changed from your previous setup are the adapter and the port on your iMac, and it's a lot easier to replace the adapter.

5. imacipapa thread starter macrumors newbie

SO I got my solid 400 to 800 cable from apple AND...... drum roll : The Mbox 2 pro still gives me the orange eye, just blinking and no other communication between the I mac and the Mbox.

So, any suggestion?

Help.... HELP!!

Imacipapa

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Did you bother to read the manual that came with the Mbox? It should walk you through the installation procedure and list any required drivers needed for the device to be used with OSX.

7. imacipapa thread starter macrumors newbie

solution

So I finally got it right!

The problem was that I had not yet installed Pro Tools and the new update, so once I did that the mbox 2 pro started to work too!
    Since I am a Logic user I just started Logic and set the Mbox 2 pro as default hardware and .... Voilá!

case closed :)