iMac & Firewire

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iSlave, Oct 16, 2008.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

Does anyone else here wonder if the next iMac update will drop Firewire in the same way the MacBook has?? After all, the iMac is 'consumer' just like the MacBook is supposed to be?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i doubt the imac will drop those ports. It's a desktop machine. And desktop computers tend to have more of everything. That's one of the advantages of getting a desktop. The iMac also has more USB ports than the macbook/pro, so they aren't dropping any of those either.

4. wildbob macrumors newbie

I can't see them dropping the firewire ports on the iMacs. The iMacs are desktop machines.

I didn't like seeing firewire dropped on the macbooks, but apple has a range of laptops and anyone needing firewire can always get the macbookPro. They are giving the consumer a choice $$$ vs function.

..bob

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Nice to see someone understand not every computer has to have the same ports. Too many people are complaining about Apple nixing the FireWire.

6. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

imac will have the firewire for reasons mentioned. more importantly, will it have usb 3.0?? that will be the biggest advancement in peripheral connection since usb 2.0 from forever ago. of course, for it to actually have usb 3.0, the new imac wouldn't come out till '09.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it wouldn't surprise me at all if they drop firewire from the imac.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It would surprise the hell out of me.

I can't understand why they removed it from the new Macbooks but they didn't remove it from the new MBP and they aren't going to be removing it from any new iMacs either.

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If they drop anything it will be firewire 400. They wont drop it completely. At least not on the higher models, I guess it is possible that they drop it completely on the lower models.

10. RRutter macrumors 6502

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe have FW 800 only (and I think use an adapter?).

The Minis are more likely to loose the FW, as they tend to follow the MB....

I do light DV editing on my Mini so I would need the FW.

12. Pope Jawn Pawl macrumors member

NO! When Steve tells you that you don't need firewire anymore, you just don't. Don't even think about firewire anymore. OK?

13. durija macrumors 6502

I'm still trying to figure out how to use target disk mode without firewire?????

14. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

mmmmm...good point! :eek: scary. i just used that today on MBP...such a time saver.

but if it all goes USB 3.0, it won't matter cause it's 4x faster than FW800! AWESOME! CAN'T WAIT!!!:D

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

dont forget apple made firewire so its like losing goodness like basically makunig a mac .. a mac

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that the FireWire port will stay on the new iMacs. I could see them getting rid of the 400 and keeping only the 800.

17. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

But do you remember how everyone was saying stuff like this when they dropped the cd drive in the macbook air.