iMac first aid questions/help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Sep 16, 2010.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I have a 24" 2.8GHz iMac that seems to be working just fine. However I decided to run some of the first aid stuff on the hd and when I asked it to verify the disk it came up with a prompt that states

"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk(such as your Mac OS X installation disc). And then use disk utility to repair this disk."

So now my question is, is that I don't have access to the original discs at the time so what should I do? I currently have a 500gb mybook connected with time machine backups current and a FireWire 400 external with little to nothing on it as well. Is there a way to repair whatever needs to be repaired without the original discs? I'm sure I could get them as they are just in storage in the original box but it would be much much nicer if I didn't need to.

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

You have to boot from an install disc, as you can't repair the HD you're using as the boot disk.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could clone your system to that external FW HDD via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and then boot from it via holding down OPTION/ALT during startup and then running Disk Utility.

4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so I went and got the original discs. Now sorry for the stupid question but how do I use them to fix this issue?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys