[iMac] First Time Buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JohnsBeharry, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JohnsBeharry macrumors newbie

JohnsBeharry

Hi all I'm new to these forums and fairly new to the "Macworld"
    I'm a freelance graphic and web designer and I was planning on buying a iMac next week.

My Toshiba Satellite (4 months old broke down) due to I have no idea what. I have a strong feeling ants. :|

Anyway I really need a computer.. Badly I live in an island called St. Lucia and the only shop selling Macs sell the cheapest one for $2100, ye the same price of the 24" 3.0ghz one.

So I've decided to order one, next week and pay the additional shipping and get a top class Mac for the price.

I've read on the News forum something about a quad core. I don't wanna buy one and a quad core comes out in 2 months time, especially with this amount of money I'm spending. I will seriously cry...

I also want to get a matching 24" display... Mac doesn't make any for the iMac that seriously sucks. Can I use the LED Cinema display the Mac book uses? I'm planning on getting a Air after I get my Toshiba back from the warranty center.

Any recommendations?

Thank in advance. :)

2. JohnsBeharry thread starter macrumors newbie

JohnsBeharry

3. freakazoid macrumors newbie

if im in your shoes.. i'll save up a little more and get a mac pro :D

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If you're a graphic designer, won't that mean you'll want to show your customers what you're creating? So won't going mobile be the more obvious route? I'd say, get a new MacBook and buy the new, matching 24" LED Apple Cinema Display.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Some of us like to sleep in on Saturday mornings, dude.

Yeah, I'd wait until Macworld (if you can ;)) just to make sure Apple doesn't come out with some sort of new goodies then. Truthfully, a new iMac based on the new intel quad is unlikely:

1. It is a desktop chip, iMacs use mobile chips to reduce heat and keep the design slim. (Though some say the new chip is cool enough to do this.)

2. Mobile quad chips out in Q3 or 4 of 09.

3. C'mon, they're going to put the bada$$ chip in the Pro first, not the consumer model.

I think the 24" should work with existing models with an adapter. It looks gorgeous on display in the apple store, but truthfully I'm going to wait for one of my 21 or 22 inch lcds to break or burn out before I buy one.

6. JohnsBeharry thread starter macrumors newbie

JohnsBeharry

lol sorry about that I don't sleep ^^
    You make sense about the quad core in the MacPro first. I'm using my boss's laptop right now but I don't wanna do that for any longer.

Well I should be getting my Toshiba Laptop back fixed so until then I don't want to to buy another. Probably gonna try to get a sale for it and get myself a refurbished Air for taking around to clients.

For some reason I don't seem to fancy the mac pro (most likely the design). What turned me on to get the iMac is the space it takes up. I get really frustrated with all these wires and towers under my desk. Its nice to have everything in a lcd.

I think I'ma go along and buy it the main concern I had was the quad core coming out. I have a big job lined up for when I get a computer back so I don't wanna loose the deal just for that also.

So with an adapter I can use the 24" led Cinema Display they made for the MacBook?

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

If you buy a 2nd Generation Air you don't even need an adapter :)

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ adapters should come out in a few weeks or so.

9. JohnsBeharry thread starter macrumors newbie

JohnsBeharry

For the iMac to LED Display?
    Does anyone know why apple makes a 20" display which suits the 20" iMac porportionally... But then goes to make a 23" Display ?

I'm not beeing picky about that 1" I know it would trouble me terribly looking at that small size difference. For the same reason I would prefer to buy a monitor made by apple cause it matches up with the computer. Any simmilar alternative 24" display that would match up with the 24" iMac?

Really appreciate the responses so far.