Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdsipod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Iowa City, IA
Hey guys, I have started to develop for the iPhone and the iPad and I was thinking about purchasing another computer for developing. Right now my MBP is more than capable for the programs that I am writing but I also use it for my schoolwork. My idea was though if I start to write more and more apps I figured that I should have a iMac just for developing and then keep my MBP for schoolwork. What do you think of this idea. It would be nice so I could keep everything more organized and I wouldn't lose everything if my laptop was lost or stolen. But on the other hand it is another expensive computer. So what should I do, just keep my MBP or sometime next year purchase an iMac and have both computers. Thanks for your responses.

yashi

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Hey guys, I have started to develop for the iPhone and the iPad and I was thinking about purchasing another computer for developing. Right now my MBP is more than capable for the programs that I am writing but I also use it for my schoolwork. My idea was though if I start to write more and more apps I figured that I should have a iMac just for developing and then keep my MBP for schoolwork. What do you think of this idea. It would be nice so I could keep everything more organized and I wouldn't lose everything if my laptop was lost or stolen. But on the other hand it is another expensive computer. So what should I do, just keep my MBP or sometime next year purchase an iMac and have both computers. Thanks for your responses.

Back your work up somewhere off your computer. You should be doing that anyway.

I just got a 27" iMac at work (I'm a web developer), and it's really awesome. I keep my editor, browser, and terminal all side by side at all times with no overlap.

But I don't know if there's a good answer to your question. If you think it will help you enough to be worth it, then go for it. The 27" iMac is awesome for development. I wouldn't buy it just to be more organized and to protect yourself in case it gets stolen, though. That can be achieved by much cheaper means, free in fact (Dropbox).

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland

I think it's a wise decision, I am doing the same :)
Actually I pondered the decision for many months and for exactly the same reasons as you, I've finally decided to proceed: more than happy!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've been in dual system mode for 3 years now with a 27" iMac plus a 13" Aluminum MacBook. If you can truly separate everything you do between the machines, that's great. But I personally haven't found that possible or even desirable. I use the iMac when I can, desktop ergonomics are superior to a notebook computer. I use Chronosync to synchronize folders between the systems -- I organize via project and projects that I perform away from home are the ones that I synchronize.

There is great appeal to just having a single system, because you have everything at your fingertips without worrying about syncing. To get best use of your existing MacBook Pro,

1. You must set up to back up your system on a regular basis. With a MacBookPro the easiest way is to get a TimeCapsule, although it's better to also have separate cloned backups that you can save "offsite" in case of theft of your computer and TimeCapsule or total loss in fire.
  2. Make a "docking station" so you get the ergonomics of a desktop computer when you are at home. If you have the cash, get the 27" Thunderbolt display, wireless keyboard and mouse. Having that big display is very useful for showing multiple apps at once.
  3. Max out the RAM and hard drive in the MBP. You can, indeed, do everything on it, just not as fast as a top end iMac. Mine has Xcode, Java, and Qt development software, and all the apps I own for video production, image processing, graphics and documentation. Frankly everything that's on my iMac except for some infrequently used Virtual Machine images and archival (completed) projects.

jdsipod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I've been in dual system mode for 3 years now with a 27" iMac plus a 13" Aluminum MacBook. If you can truly separate everything you do between the machines, that's great. But I personally haven't found that possible or even desirable. I use the iMac when I can, desktop ergonomics are superior to a notebook computer. I use Chronosync to synchronize folders between the systems -- I organize via project and projects that I perform away from home are the ones that I synchronize.

There is great appeal to just having a single system, because you have everything at your fingertips without worrying about syncing. To get best use of your existing MacBook Pro,

1. You must set up to back up your system on a regular basis. With a MacBookPro the easiest way is to get a TimeCapsule, although it's better to also have separate cloned backups that you can save "offsite" in case of theft of your computer and TimeCapsule or total loss in fire.
  2. Make a "docking station" so you get the ergonomics of a desktop computer when you are at home. If you have the cash, get the 27" Thunderbolt display, wireless keyboard and mouse. Having that big display is very useful for showing multiple apps at once.
  3. Max out the RAM and hard drive in the MBP. You can, indeed, do everything on it, just not as fast as a top end iMac. Mine has Xcode, Java, and Qt development software, and all the apps I own for video production, image processing, graphics and documentation. Frankly everything that's on my iMac except for some infrequently used Virtual Machine images and archival (completed) projects.

Having given my idea a little more thought, your ideas seem to have more realism to them. I guess that is what I should have thought about first because I would probably use both to develop but will need a laptop to have the mobility when I take programming classes at my university. Having a larger display would be really nice and have less strain on my eyes as well. Thanks

----------

Back your work up somewhere off your computer. You should be doing that anyway.

I just got a 27" iMac at work (I'm a web developer), and it's really awesome. I keep my editor, browser, and terminal all side by side at all times with no overlap.

But I don't know if there's a good answer to your question. If you think it will help you enough to be worth it, then go for it. The 27" iMac is awesome for development. I wouldn't buy it just to be more organized and to protect yourself in case it gets stolen, though. That can be achieved by much cheaper means, free in fact (Dropbox).

Very true, very true

----------

I think it's a wise decision, I am doing the same :)
Actually I pondered the decision for many months and for exactly the same reasons as you, I've finally decided to proceed: more than happy!

I think that is what I am going to do, not immediately but within the next year or two

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.