Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norton.rider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Manchester uk
Hiya everyone looking forward to being part of the forum spent all night reading old posts :)

Time served mac operator in Pre-Press an Litho printer unfortunately the family company just went under real heart wrenching time at 29.

Just spent some of my redundancy on a Gopro hero 6 to do some motorcycle vlogging on about my classic bikes an film some memories of me and my old man bit of Youtube etc.

Used late 2012 Macs with Heidelberg Prinect at work and Lightroom for my own stills stuff
so not to clued up on video stuff yet although I'm super interested to use it as a stepping stone as I can't see any future in print any more.

Tried to get some of my footage done on my old 06 mac pro an not got a chance bar a small clip I managed to get onto youtube so its upgrade time

Looking at editing in final cut.

Really struggling to figure out which one of the 27 inch 2017 I mac's will handle the footage of the Gopro 6 in 40k 60fps think its Hevc.265 and some of the 2.7k stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially by anyone that is editing gopro 6 footage on any of the three versions trying to decide between the one with the 575 or 580 graphics card thinking i5 processor maybe.

PS sorry if my grammar isn't perfect severely dyslexic so always been better at the workflow side of stuff.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
For this level of 4K video editing either will be fine, the GPU is quite important in keeping things fast but both will do the job fine. The i7 can make a massive difference in hyper-threaded pro apps but again for this usage the i5 is going to be fine.

At this stage I would look at refurbished to save money and remember that the most important thing is an SSD do not buy a HDD equipped iMac or a 1TB fusion drive you will be disappointed with the performance. A 2TB-3TB fusion will work ok but to be honest if you can I would go SSD all the way and use externals for large file storage.

Last edited:

norton.rider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Manchester uk
Thanks for the reply :) if I was picking something for print production would know straight away in my head what to get but videos a different ball game

Yeah I was wondering that about the SSD Vs fusion drive as we did have a few issues with the fusions as they got older

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.