iMac for graphic designer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by olivermax, Jul 17, 2012.

1. olivermax macrumors newbie

Hey guys!
    So, I have Toshiba Satellite L635. I'm 20 yrs old, beginner graphic designer (also using tablet). So, since lately I've started to spend more time with computer, my eyes were kinda tired after few hours with my toshiba laptop. Many people recommend me buying apple, since their products have special flicks for designer.
    I want to buy 27 inch iMac with 8 gb RAM. (~$1800) But, in Buyer's Guide it doesnt recommends buying iMac, since they havent updated for along time.
    My QUESTIONs : If I buy iMac now, will I really loose a lot for that new generation iMacs (speed, CPU, and other specs)? I mean, does new iMac is going to be so much better than the old one? Is it a really bad deal if I buy iMac now?
    I now you guys might not know for sure, but I just want your opinions on that.
    Also, maybe I should buy used iMac? Is it worth it? How big is the risk?
    I need iMac now, I dont want to wait until October for the new iMac because I need to make new designs now which is hard to do on my computer. Especially if the price for new iMac is going to be over $2400 - I wouldnt be able to buy it.
    Thank you.:apple:

2. Macman45, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you can, wait it out...We are as you say, not able to say for sure, but the likelihood is that a refresh is imminent. SSD's a GPU bump are all possibilities, along with Ivy Bridge CPU's.

I have a maxed out (exactly 1 year old) iMac, and it's used for music / video and photography work...a word of advice on ram...Don't buy it from Apple...You can easily install it yourself, and it's $$ cheaper and has no effect on your warranty. I have 16GB in my I7 3.4 GHZ 27" If you really have to buy now, and are prepared for your machine to be a little out of date, take a look at refurbs in the Apple store. Good value for money.

3. olivermax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I think I will go with refurbished model.
    By the way, where did you buy RAM for your iMac? Whats the name of it? How much? I used to install RAM on my old PC, so I think I can do that.