Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I need some your opinion...

I recently stumbled upon an 32 GB iPad 2 and bought it to sell on CL because they are really hard to find in my area (along with the rest of the US) right now. I guy contacted me and asked if I was willing to trade the iPad for his iMac. Here are the specs...
-bought Jan. 2010
-dual core 3.06 ghz
-8gb RAM
-500GB hard drive
-runs OSX 10.6
-box and all accessories
-no Apple Care

I am in need of a computer at the moment and am not fond of the idea of having a desktop, however, if this is a good deal I would be willing to go with an iMac for a year or two and can always get an iPad later on if I need something portable.

If it matters the guy with the iMac lives a few blocks from my house, works as an IT Guy at a local paper mill, and wants to get rid of it because he doesn't need it because he bought a PC because he got back into PC gaming. He sent me pictures and it looks like it is in top shape.

Just wondering your opinion, if it is a good trade on my part. Is there anything I should look for when I am going to look at it? Thanks.

Gaura Mohana

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Gainesville, FL
I say go for it
You're effectively trading $3-500 for $1000
Just make sure to check for physical problems in the iMac
However - If your iPad is worth more then $600 i suggest you do not make the switch unless you really want to

Last edited:

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Yes trade...

You could even sell the iMac at market rate, buy a new iPad and still have a profit.

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I would definitely go for it.
Your iPad 2 is much cheaper to buy than that iMac, and like Satori said, you could always sell that iMac and have a profit.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
My iMac is almost that exact spec. It's a nice-looking machine and wicked fast; it'll HandBrake a feature-length film straight from the DVD in less than 20 minutes, and would be a great iTunes server for an AppleTV or two.

If it checks out OK and he wants an even trade, take it; it's a no-brainer.

(To be frank, this sounds like just the situation CraigsList was originally designed for, before all the scammers jumped onboard.)

320driver

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
To repair or buy new

I have a a1211 Mac book pro with 3mb memory and it works fine except that the display bezel is broken on one side near the hinge. The back case has sperated and it's onlly amattter of time before the other side breaks.

I am trying to decide if I should try to hunt down a bezel and rear case (parts cost I figure $250 to $350 + my labor) to fix the problem or wait and save to buy a new computer.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Given that you say you are in need a computer and it doesn't seem that you need an iPad 2, I'd vote for making the swap if you like the iMac. In year, you will still have a reasonable chance of selling the iMac for as much as the iPad 2 or more. Good luck!

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Holy Hell!!

Do it! Do it! Do it! And don't look back! I only recently stepped into the realm of G5's. If I had the chance to get a mac like that? I would slap my own grandmother for a deal like that... But that is just my thought.

~Drake

--
Sent from equinox DualG5 1.8/1gb/10.5.8

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
I have a a1211 Mac book pro with 3mb memory and it works fine except that the display bezel is broken on one side near the hinge. The back case has sperated and it's onlly amattter of time before the other side breaks.

I am trying to decide if I should try to hunt down a bezel and rear case (parts cost I figure $250 to $350 + my labor) to fix the problem or wait and save to buy a new computer.

What does that have to do with this thread at all?:rolleyes:

Op definitely go for it. As others have said that iMac is worth way more than an iPad. Check eBay to see what that iMac is going for cause you could make some real profit.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
So did the trade go through, OP? It sounds way too good to be true. Unless the other guy is desperate.

fambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you for all of your opinions. I took all of your posts into considerations (except 320Driver because lord knows what he was talking about). I did end up trading the iPad 2 for the iMac. The iMac is in fantastic shape and I am loving it.

The guy who traded me just wanted to get rid of it because his house was full of electronics. This iMac was sandwiched in between a first gen iPad, MBP and a super computer he just built to play online games. Bottom line, he just needed to get rid of it and I was happy to take it off his hands. Thanks again for all your posts.

If any of you have a good recommendation for a bit to expensive external hard drive I can use with Time Machine it would be greatly appreciated. I need around 2 TBs. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.