iMac for moderate-level photo editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luminosity, Jun 12, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Hi all,

My two and a half year old MBP (October 2006 revision, so close to three years now) is showing its age. More than just raw specs, I'm also concerned about the intensity of photo editing large RAW files and just sorting those same RAW files (25 MBs each straight out of my camera, a D300).

Doing anything that pushes my laptop to always having the fan going and such isn't something that appeals to me. I need something to organize my photos with, and I don't think my MBP is it. I take it every day to work and have since shortly after I got it, in March of 2007. I need it to keep doing that. Loading it up with photos isn't really compatible, given the space and processing requirements.

So, I find myself starting to look toward an iMac as a possibility, but I'm wondering if it's enough (I assume it is, but am not sure). Should I look to get a base 24 inch iMac and then load up on the RAM? What's the rumor mill spinning out for the next revision? I was wise to wait a revision for my current MBP, as I got a 2.33 C2D, rather than the final Pentium chip. Is there anything like that gap on the horizon?

I'd probably be using Lightroom/Photoshop/Capture NX 2. I just came back from a trip where I look a lot of photos, but I can't really even go through them as things stand now.

Just looking for some advice :).

2. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you can check out the MR buying guide for more info on when the iMac will have a revision, but right now with 4GB of RAM on a 2.66 will be very very nice. you could even add an SSD in there to help with read times.

i don't know if it would be your best bet, seeing how you take your MBP to work every day though.

look into the current gen MBP 15"

please read forum rules.