iMac for Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carfac, May 1, 2008.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So I am running Pro Tools on an older PC, and it is not so hot- when I try and run 2 mics (USB), I get latency issues. With MBox 2. I just bought that, and I can upgrade to a Pro for just the price difference, so no issue there. (That is, upgrade to a Firewire run interface).

I have a 20" iMac "family" computer. I think it is about a 2.0Ghz Core 2. SO I am thinking about replacing that with a used White 24:, and using the 20 for studio work ONLY. Is that a good plan, or would I be better served to get one of the newer alum (God, the Alum are FUGLY!) for Pro Tools and keep the 20" a "family" computer?

I guess what I am asking is whether the 2.0 Ghz will run Pro Tools very well, or I need more processor. (Either iMac would have 2 G mem).

Thanks for your ideas!

Dave

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The processor speed will be fine. Get a FW400/800 external drive if you can. Stick with 10.4, don't install 10.5 -- ProTools chokes on it.

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Damn that was quick! Thanks! Yes, I have a 750 G FW second drive.

I will return the MBox for the Pro, and grab a 24 for the home!

Hey Canada, do you feel 20" is big enough for PT when you run it? I still have the Tiger disks from when I first bought the iMac, I assume there are NO copyright restrictions or problems if I downgrade BACK to Tiger...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

More screen space is better of course, 20" is workable. My son is a Protools maniac on his 20" iMac G5.

Careful that the version of Tiger matches the machine model -- in general, you can't use an existing OSX disk on a machine that is NEWER than the release of the disk.

5. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks again...

The "Family" iMac came with Tiger, and that is what I would take for the studio, making a "new" refurb 24" white iMac the "Family" machine. I would downgrade the 20" with the Tiger disks that came with it when I bought it, so that should match up. But I loose the "investment" in my Leopard upgrade disks I bought in Oct, as the refurb would come with Leopard. Oh well, I can sell that, right???