iMac For University?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacrumors, Dec 6, 2010.

1. iMacrumors macrumors member

Ahh, the title's a little decieving, but here's my dilema.

I am going to university next September and I need a computer! I love the iMac, and all the upgrades people are doing to it.

I think a notebook (Macbook Pro) would be necessary, however, for taking notes in Uni. The iMac would be cheaper and provides way more power and such (no kidding, it's a desktop)

Also, I'm thinking the iPad is not fit for notetaking.. otherwise I would get the iMac/iPad combo over the Macbook Pro.

Does anyone here go to university, and what do you own? I love the iMac but would loove a notebook for notes. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I own the 13 MBP, iPhone 4, iPad, and....I'm wanting to get an iMac too! And maybe a MBA at some point.

3. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

That's cool! If I would buy anything it would be the iMac/iPad combo or a Macbook Pro.. we'll see what's left for an iPhone, but here in Canada, it's hard to find a carrier where I live for the iPhone haha

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

If I was to give advice, I would say MBP. It gives you a great mixture of power and portability! iMac = Power not portable (haha). iPad = not real computer MBA= portable, not much power.

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

By Sept my awesome chum there will be the ipad2 new MacBooks, and I'll get an educational discount. I'd wait

6. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but what should I buy??
    I can get the education discount now, as I'm already accepted into Uni and such.

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

What are you studying? For anything science related computers are pretty darn useless at taking notes (unless you have a tablet, anyway).

Maybe we'll see some kinda iPad app in the future, but for now (again, in science related majors) I'd generally say the only thing a computer will do for you in class is distract you.

8. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Yes,

I am going in for a Commerce Degree, soo business related stuff idk.

Yes, we definately could see something for the iPad which would be nice. I know there's iWork and Pages or whatever for the iPad already, but idk who easy typing on an iPad is during class anyhow.

9. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I've heard ipads in a case r the hottest things on campus
    You do 95% of ur work on iPad and then tidy it up on ur mac

10. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

I currently have a iMac latest model for home, and I just got my Macbook Air 13" with the RAM upgrade. I will be going to university in the fall.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I find I do just fine with only having a computer at home. The majority of students do have a laptop though.

12. easepease macrumors regular

I've got an older macbook pro 2.16 15 inch that i rarely use anymore...

I use my new i7 iMac 27 and then for notetaking to be honest i use my HP netbook! I loveit cause I can just throw it around in my bag and not feel bad cause its cheap to replace. I combine that with microsoft one note (mac has nothing that can compete with it) and a bamboo tablet

Also I attach a bluetooth keyboard to my iphone 4 sometimes to start papers or take notes as well

of course there is always the good old fashioned pen and paper

13. MakX macrumors member

I've just ordered an iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7 and plan to use that as my primary computer for Uni, starting in January.

Will probably get a lower end MBP for while I'm at Uni. If not, perhaps a Netbook.

14. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

I would get an iMac. Apparantly not even many people use laptops in lectures for taking notes and when they do there usually on facebook or some game. Do yourself a favour and don't get a laptop or iPad. And if you really want to, don't bring it to lectures.

15. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

If the MBP has enough power for your work you could get that and a monitor for when you work at home. Or if you need the power of the iMac, get that with a basic Macbook for notes.

16. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I'd recommend an iMac and a netbook. It doesn't necessarily have to be Windows (in fact a Linux netbook is usually quite a bit cheaper) and is great for university. I use mine alot with my Dell Studio (which essentially is a desktop replacement computer) in the same combo, really. I am getting an iMac next year and while I like the iPad I think the netbook is more suitable for this role.

17. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I hear that this is the case as well. For me I think I would go with a lower end Macbook or pen and paper

Well, this is the absolute best option.. however I do have a budget. It seems the consensus is to go for an iMac and a netbook.

How easy is transfering stuff from PC to MAC though? That's kind of a silly question because for Uni it would just be notes and such

Yeah, if I am going to get an iMac, this would be the model im after :)

I would need the 17" Macbook Pro probably i7 with all the photo editing/video editing I do. If this was the case the Macbook Pro + Display is more than say an iMac + Macbook Air.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'm going to get an iMac for sure. I just need to see if I can/should save enough money for a lower end macbook, go with a macbook, or pen and paper.

Most Uni students I've talked to said they just go on facebook and other things (like someone else mentioned before) anyways, so we'll see.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as you use Microsoft Office (or other suite that is available on both platforms, otherwise you may face compatibility issues), it will be super easy. You can use: a USB stick to transfer the files when needed, DropBox (this is amazing and for both OSs) or just enable file sharing so you can access the PC's HD on the iMac and vice versa.

19. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Get an iMac 27, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPad, iPod, and iPhone.

20. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Ohh! I would be using Microsoft Office, and who knows on the iMac I may install Bootcamp/Parallels or something for Windows. I have seen PC users use Dropbox, (which I think is fantasic), never even crossed my mind to look if it was compatible with Mac. I'm happy that it does!

File sharing looks sexi as well. Thanks Hellhammer. Im n00bish as ya'll can tell.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use Office for Mac as well, so you won't be needing Bootcamp/Parallels. It's not free but well worth the price (something like 129$ IIRC) iWork also supports Office files but when importing and exporting them, you often face formatting issues (paragraphs are not like they should etc).

I personally use Office for Mac and so far haven't faced any issues with it. The new 2011 version is a huge improvement and it's pretty much equal to the Windows version (well, this may be a good or bad thing). So if you plan to use Office on the PC, Office for Mac is your best bet to ensure maximum compatibility.

22. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

I see! I definately will get the Office for Mac if that's the case. So, if I'm using Office on the PC, and I have Office on the Mac, they're the same?? No compatibility issues? If that's the case, you can't go wrong!

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's what they are meant for. Office for Mac is just Mac version of the Windows version. Both are made by Microsoft. Default file formats are the same and even the outfit is pretty much the same nowadays.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I'm really excited for you dude!