iMac for video color correct/grading

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snapdragonx, Jun 8, 2013.

1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

Hey guys,

There's loads of information on this topic around the place, but there doesn't seem to be anything definitive.

So, does anyone know (for sure) if the 2012 iMac 27" is any good for color correction/grading (for video). How closely can it be calibrated to the REC709 colorspace? And how easy is it to do?

Thanks for any info

2. portishead macrumors 65816

You should have a broadcast monitor, but if you can't, then you can use an iMac to at least get you 90% there.

You're never going to get it calibrated perfectly even if you really know what you're doing.

What kind of stuff are you grading?

3. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing, a broadcast monitor is out of my budget. But I want to sell my Macbook and upgrade to something more powerful, so an iMac seems like a good bet.

So if I can get 90% there without having to spent thousands on a broadcast monitor, I'll be happy.

Mainly grading promotional videos and event videos, occasionally short films, usually for web.

Thanks

4. portishead macrumors 65816

You'll be fine. Unless you're getting paid with a budget that includes using a broadcast monitor & scopes, I don't think you should be expected to use them.

Even if you do use a broadcast monitor, you're going to send out a video for approval. Some producer is going to look at it on their PC screen, and complain about the colors not right or something stupid anyway. It shouldn't happen often or anything, but I'm just saying, most likely, if you get 90% there, nobody is going to notice.

5. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks for that.

So the iMac display is pretty good out of the box? No need to do any further calibration?

Honestly, the fact that the display is so good is the only reason I'm not considering a Mac Pro.

6. apedance macrumors member

May I ask what software you use for grading/color correction?