iMac for video editing with Final Cut Pro X

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iBatmac, Oct 27, 2015.

1. iBatmac macrumors member

Could you help me deciding to choose an iMac for video editing (not professional) with Final Cut Pro X?
    I'm not sure i5 vs i7 and M395 vs M395X. Thank you for your help!

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

FCPX is one of the very few software that highly optimised to fully utilised the hardware in OSX. It can easily utilise all 12 cores (24 threads) and dual D700 12G VRAM on the nmp.

Of course it can run with i5 and M395, however, I assume you will love to play around 4K video editing on this machine (even for non-professional use) in short future. And you can definitely benefit from the i7 and M395x, so better to take the upgrade.

For GPU, you can still add extra eGPU(s) later on via TB, but for CPU, there will be no way to upgrade (at least impossible for a normal user). So, at least go for the i7.

3. fa8362, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you're not doing it professionally, you don't need an i7 or a video card better than the 390. There are professional editors working with less than the base or $2300 model. Most are not full time, but some of them are.

Many people on this site advise people to buy more than they need. Don't fall for it. The less expensive computer will do the same job as the more expensive model, just a bit more slowly. That shouldn't concern you because time is NOT money for you.

Also, if you have a 4K tv, it can be argued that a non retina iMac would be a better choice for 4k editing. There is a performance toll in pushing all those retina pixels around and previews can look worse.

4. AppleHater, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I'm on the same boat in that regard where I use my mac for photos (LR) and videos (iMovie soon to be FCP). I don't make money with my work but it matters enough for me to upgrade.

I'm down to two choice after reading many threads here:
    27 inch I5 3.2ghz + M390 + 512GB SSD
    27 inch I5 3.3ghz + M395 + 512GB SSD

There is $100 difference which works for either option's argument depends on how I think about it: Only $100 more, why not get a better one OR performance gain is less than 10% between the two, so is it worth it?...

All my footages are 1080p and probably 4K in a year or two. Most of them are coming from D750, Nikon 1 J5 or iPhone. 1-3 minutes each. Most of my projects are less than 10 minutes long although I do 30 minute ones once in a while.

Once I know the answer, Apple will have my money.

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The i7 will help with video compression and general power especially if the original video is in a highly compressed format H264 or H265, the higher the video card will help with effects (generally speaking). If you are shooting 4K, then you also want to err on the higher side. you cannot add external graphics cards later via Thunderbolt 2.

Many people asking these questions don't give us enough information: what cameras might you be shooting on, how long is the project and so on.

6. h9826790, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I am also just do FCPX for fun, even though "time to finish the job" is not my money, but I will have much more fun to play around a higher performance computer.

It's just different people have different value. For me, I am willing to play more for fun. For others, it's not worth to pay more to have just a little bit more fun.

It's like a car. I don't need a Ferrari, and I won't making money from it, but if assuming there is no speed limit on the road, I am happy to pay more to get a faster car. On the other hand, a cheap Toyota can run on the same road, but just with lower speed, and may be less fun.

Especially for leisure user, there is no commercial factor in there, no need to calculate the cost and return. The decision can simply base on what you really want. It you only want something can finish the job, and have a taste of those software, of course the lower end model works. However, if you want more fun (apply more filter / layer, dealing with higher quality video, etc...), the higher end model will give you more fun.

There is no right or wrong, both machine can do the job, just at different level. Order what you really want and willing to pay, then don't regret, that's it.

7. PCunningham macrumors newbie

You actually CAN add an external graphics card via TB 2. This has been demonstrated in many videos. If you check for a YouTuber called MrThaiBox123 he has posted a few videos on this.

One thing to note though is TB 2 doesnt have enough bandwidth to push a gaming graphics card at full speed in a gaming capacity but it can be used for other tasks. If you daisey chained both ports this might be able to be achieved but i would checkout the youtuber i mentioned above first as I have yet to try it out.

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Okay, it is 'technically' correct that you can add a GPU externally, but the original poster made it seem like a viable upgrade option in the future. After a bit of research, it's not. Why:
    1. As you point out, there isn't enough bandwidth to properly runs graphics card on TB 2
    2. OS X doesn't support it, so you must use an external monitor. You can't run your accelerated application on the iMac retina screen -- the whole point I would imagine
    3. It is hugely expensive for the graphics card and I assume the TB box needed to run it.

Add that up and although technically possible, it isn't a real world solution for anyone who would want to drive their internal iMac Retina screen with strong graphics. In fact the M395 is pretty sweet if you ask me. So the only logical solution is to get the most powerful graphics card possible in the iMac without thinking there is an upgrade path later. There is not as poster h9826790 stated. He also incorrectly stated that the CPU isn't upgradable. The CPU is NOT soldered onto the motherboard and therefore is theoretically upgradable https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+CPU+Replacement/30515

9. ClassicMartini, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

ClassicMartini macrumors newbie

ClassicMartini

As Sirmausalot says, its a little 'exotic'. These will be official eGPU/Thunderbolt support soon. Handy primer, here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...g-4th-quarter-2015-mainstream-in-2016.777013/