iMac for video editing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nandifix, May 11, 2012.

1. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm looking into getting the (hopefully) new 2012 iMacs when they are released. I do video editing as part of my job but it's not really to serious, I would hope to use FCPX. Do you think the base model would be ok or would you upgrade to the 27 inch with the slightly faster i5 ivy bridge? Thanks in advanced.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, the base iMac will be okay for video editing, depending on the load of work you have to do and what kind of footage you edit.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. Nandifix thread starter macrumors 6502

4. simsaladimbamba

I should have clarified, that I meant the codec, as even my 2007 iMac can edit 1080p 24fps footage, when using an editing codec.

Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

5. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

The 1st model would work ok for your basic editing experience. Of course if you can upgrade, and afford it...do it :)

6. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Video editing really relies on CPU and Hard Drive speeds. If you can work with internal SSD drives as well as external ones you will be able to work quick. Also I would suggest looking into a 2011 top of the line model as the extra cores make a big difference when compressing and exporting files.

7. JAYBEATS23 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat man. I looking at the '12 iMac myself