imac for video editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by blueicedj, Jul 18, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there are any filmmakers out there who have an imac? Could you tell me how well this system works with video editing software and how well it can handle HD footage. Thanks

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It will work fine, but if you're planning on continuing video editing with it for quite a while, and especially in HD, the MacPro is the machine you want. The iMac may be quite slow at rendering complex filters on HD footage...

3. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

4. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

The mac pro is a little too expensive for me, but I'm hoping the new imac update will bring a little closer to better HD performance. Would this be true?

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The current iMacs should work good with HD, and whenever the updated iMacs come around they will be even better.

I'd recommend a external hard drive, as big as possible. Hopefully the next update includes FW800 on all iMacs instead of just the 24 incher.

6. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

My Core Duo iMac works pretty well with editing, and all data is on a FW400 external disk.

It does slow down a bit when rendering and converting though. I'll be getting a new iMac or MBP soon though!