Imac formatt question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Deton8TED, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Deton8TED macrumors newbie

Hi. My mid 2011 imac has died (screen).
    i have removed the hdd and backed up all my data. Now i want to sell my imac as spairs/repairs how can i formatt the hdd so its good to go with osx running still. Thanks

2. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

No need to format if you removed the hard drive. Or did you install another one? In that case, you would have to download the installer for the OS X version you would like to install and use it to prepare a bootable USB or DVD, then boot off that and format/install.

3. Deton8TED thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it out. And used a caddy To get my data. I would like to put the same hdd back in so who ever buys it can just replace the screen and be up and running. Can that be done fromm the caddy?

4. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Yes, you could do it from the caddy. You could also use Target Disk Mode if you have another Mac around :D
    One option would be to just leave your disk as is with the OS X you already have installed. Log in, create a new admin user with an easy password (and a hint to say what the password is). Then log in with that account and delete your main user account, including the home folder. You will also want to clean out any paid applications you may have installed in /Applications. This could be done from the command line as well.
    The other option is as i mentioned above, create a bootable install media. I assume you will have to use an external monitor for that, though.

5. Deton8TED thread starter macrumors newbie