Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaos Theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
I own the Mac version of Call of Duty 2, and my nVidia 24" iMac has been behaving very strangely whenever I play the game; every time I turn on the High Quality Rendering option, the game menu screen goes black, but then displays the high-quality graphics if I return to my current game. Could this be an implementation problem with the nVidia 8800GS? Also, I only get about 20 FPS regardless of settings. Shouldn't I be getting more? I am running the game at 1600x1200 res. with high textures, but still...
Also, I noticed that during gaming, my iMac's fan never comes on, even if the computer is running extremely hot to the touch. The only time I ever heard the fan come on was during a hardware scan. Any help would be much appreciated, as I have posted before and never received any replies. Thanks!

Here are my 24" iMac's specs: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 512 MB nVidia 8800GS.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Did you install bootcamp drivers? Is it 2.1?

Did you go nvidia.com for latest drivers?

Kaos Theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Not Using Bootcamp

I am playing the ported version of COD2. I bought a Mac so I wouldn't have to deal with Windows. I know that Mac ports of PC games don't run as well as their counterparts, but this seems to be pushing it. Any suggestions?

Kaos Theory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for The Help

I read a post of a guy that ran COD4 (Mac version) on his Mac Pro at High-Res and still got 75-85 FPS. He had an 8800GT, which is almost identical to my card. I guess that COD4 is just optimized to run with newer hardware and COD2 isn't. Oh well. I wish that more Mac games were developed on Mac. X-Plane 9 was, and it has the single most impressive design I have ever seen; everything works exactly the way it should. It even lets me choose any res I want and add up to 32x AA. I can even put a 500 MB load on my GPU and still get around 60 FPS. Now that's what a Mac can do with the right software. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.