imac freeze/no restart after latest updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maedchen, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Maedchen macrumors newbie

Maedchen

Hi there, need a little help. Maybe you can point me to the appropriate thread.
    Have an IMac G5 Power PC G5 (3.0) with MacOS X 10.5.8, went through all the most recent updates including itunes 9.0 (which I do regularly every month) and on the restart, the machine freezes.
    When switching off/on again via button, machine goes through first stages of booting up (white screen, then blue screen) but then stays stuck on the blue screen with the circular progress sign circling for ever.
    Did use my install disk and used
    1. disk utility verify and repair - no repairs needed, hardware is fine
    2. Erase and Install via Time Machine which took 6 hours but got it running again
    3. Did the updates again and it froze again.

Can anyone help me how to resolve the underlying issue? I do not want to reload my harddrive everytime from time machine in order to use the Mac for a little while.
    Maybe I have made a mistake somewhere?:confused:
    Many thanks

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none if it has tried to contact us.
    (Calvin & Hobbes)

2. Robofunc macrumors member

I'm having this exact same issue on my dual 1gig mdd g4 running 10.4. I always get updates when available and have never had a problem before.

The items in the update were:
    java
    iTunes
    ppc security update

does anyone have a clue what's going on / how to fix this?