iMac freeze problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CBX, Oct 19, 2008.

1. CBX macrumors regular

the last few days I have had a problem with my iMac.

I have the wireless mouse and keyboard.

First the mouse stops registering the scroll ball and mouse click, however the pointer still moves for a while and then that stops to!

At this point the keyboard stops responding too.

I tried to put the mac to sleep by pressing the button at the back once but nothing happened. I had to hold the power button and restart. After the restart it is all ok!

This has happened about 3 times in as many days!

Can anyone help out as I'm fairly new with macs and don't know where to start?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well, you need to figure out whether its the computer actually freezing or just not getting the bluetooth signal from the wireless devices. If you plug in a USB mouse, can you move the mouse cursor around? Another thing to try would be just simply replacing the batteries in the mouse & keyboard or just switching it off and then back on. If it won't work with new batteries or happens again I'd bring the system into an Apple store to have the bluetooth module evaluated.

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Try repairing permissions.

clean the P RAM ( hold Command-Option-P-R and wait for 2-3 chimes) on start up.

bad ram?

logic board problem?

still under apple care?

4. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I dont have a usb mouse/keyboard to hand so I have changed the batteries in both over. However, if it was the batteries/connection would I not get a connection lost message? And why would I not be able to put the mac to sleep by pressing the button at the back?

With regards to 'Reparing the permissions'. What does this mean exactly? What permissions need repairing and why does this occur?

BTW do I need the disc in to do this or not? I plan to do it later today once I give the new batterys a shot at the problem.

Thing is I only have 4 days Apple Care left.

Think I will book it in and report it to be on the safe side! Whats the general rule when returning an iMac for a reported problem. If I take it to an Apple store do they fix on site - while you wait, or is it sent off?

If so do I need to protect my data?

5. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

Just done a verify and repair permissions.

After doing another verify post repair im left with several messages saying:

'ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/.'

And at the bottom it says:

"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this bad?

6. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

4 hours in with only Safari and iTunes open and another freeze has happened! :mad:

Anyone got any ideas please?

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Sorry, i assumed you would know what i was talking about :p.

You can find repair permissions in the disk utility located in the utilites folder in applications. Select your hard drive and then click 'repair permissions'. It will take any where from 30 seconds to 10 minutes to do this. Just depends on how messed up things are.

As far as how they get messed up see this link

It will probably find one or two. Maybe more. You don't need the disk to do it.

I would call apple, explain the problem. Tell them that you have tried everything to try to fix it. Tell them your apple care is almost up and that you would like to take it into a apple store before it's up.

If they take it in, i would back your data up just in case. Never hurts to make a backup. It really depends on whats wrong with it. They might be able to fix it onsite, or they might need to send it off.

Attached Files:

8. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for that.

just booked in to apple store for Wednesday night.

Hopefully they can sort it out.

9. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

update for anyone with similar problem:

can now recreate by going into I tunes
    store and scrolling using wireless mouse ball
    quickly.

this is the latest version of itunes.

have read others have same problem
    so it looks like a software issue.

someone has recommended turning
    genius feature off - I'm going to give
    this a try!