iMac Freeze

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jaydennz, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jaydennz macrumors member

Hey guys,

My iMac G4 17" 1.25 freezes every time I use it. Trying to reinstall the OS it gets to the select install media screen then freezes sometime before you can click continue. Once this happens it won't boot any further than the chime. If I let it rest for a while it will boot as far as it did the first time. Already reset the little button on the bottom but doesn't help. Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could be a power or RAM issue.

3. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

It's not ram, tried different sticks in all slots

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any blown caps on the board? Since it freezes at random times it definitely sounds hardware.

5. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

Are blown caps visible?

I wouldnt say it's random, it's pretty consistent when it freezes, about 2 mins into boot

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since it sometimes freezes in the boot selector before drives are probed I think this is a cap issue. If the hard drive is shot it would probably freeze as booting and not in the boot selector.

7. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

Oh man! Those are pretty much unfixable right?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well... you could do a soldering job or board replacement. Let's rule out simple parts first. You say it sometimes locks up in the boot selector (holding Opt at boot). Try pulling it apart and disconnecting the hard drive and using the boot selector. If it doesn't freeze then you may have a fatally damaged drive causing it to throw mixed signals to OpenFirmware, thus crashing the boot selector. Also, did you reapply thermal paste to the contact points when you swapped the RAM?

9. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks altemose. I'll have a look at the HDD another day and report back. Yup did the thermal paste properly

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad to hear it isn't an overheating issue. Make sure you unplug both the power and data cables for this test.

11. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

I booted without the hdd, it got to the ? Screen, flashed for a while then froze. I put the old hdd back in and got the KP below. Then it wouldn't boot for a while. Think it might be a hardware problem

Attached Files:

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What happens if you try a new hard drive? I am not convinced that it isn't a hard drive as the freezing on the ?/Finder screen is not uncommon on iMac G4s. After a set time I have seen iMac G4s freeze like you describe. Would it be possible to do a RAM test as well?

13. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

I have tried a brand new hdd from owc as well as the original one. Likewise with ram. No idea what more I can test

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you can get someone to test with ASD (Apple Service Diagnostics) then you may be able to get a clear result on what is malfunctioning. Unfortunately, this is something that was never released to the public but an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) may have a copy to test with.

15. jaydennz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, will give that a go, although most AASPs run scared when they see a PowerPC Mac in New Zealand haha. We don't have Apple Stores here either unfortunately

16. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I can't really read what the screen error message says but I was having an issue with a similar screen when I replaced the RAM and HDD on my iMac G4.

I did a PRAM reset and let it sit overnight (not sure if this is needed, but I got fed up and watched a movie, then went to bed). I had the original 512 MB RAM inside and everything worked. Once I installed OS X I swapped out the internal RAM for the new 1 GB and everything's been great so far.

Before the the PRAM reset though nothing was working properly.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A bit odd but I am glad it is working!