Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I suppose some of you with freezing aluminum iMacs may find this encouraging (and at the same time angering and nauseating):

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._may_be_victims_of_hardware_not_software.html

This is what I expect to see when Apple has an actual issue to own up to. This is what we DIDN'T see for the supposed widespread "gradient" and "yellow screen" claims.

Freezer owners, your long days of suffering may be over soon.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If Apple does confirm this problem, it could be REALLY expensive for Apple because they'll have to recall the vast majority of the new iMacs out there to replace the graphics chips. :(

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I doubt it affects 'the vast majority' of imacs. More likely it affects the majority of people reading a forum thread about the issue - which is something people with the issue would gravitate to. I and a lot of others have no freezing, so I guess it's actually a minority that are unlucky enough to have the problem.

That said, it's looking indeed like it's a hardware issue. If it is, I'm appalled that apple have taken all this time and not acknowledged it! iMacs were freezing back in august, and I'm sure enough people returned them that Apple had enough imacs with the fault to see what the issue was. If they were getting a fair few back, they should have known this wasn't a one-off issue.

chuckyboy81070

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Gpu

i've never been quite clear on this: on the new aluminum imacs, is the GPU on the logic board or on a separate, replaceable graphics card itself? i ask because there is a tech coming out to replace my freezing 24" imac's logic board and system RAM. not sure why regarding the latter, though.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
i've never been quite clear on this: on the new aluminum imacs, is the GPU on the logic board or on a separate, replaceable graphics card itself? i ask because there is a tech coming out to replace my freezing 24" imac's logic board and system RAM. not sure why regarding the latter, though.

Not sure about the GPU (but I'd like to know), but I can say that bad memory could cause the problem, and so could the system board. If they're coming out to fix it, it's probably more cost effective to replace the lot than mess about with just one part and perhaps coming back 3 days later to replace another.

chuckyboy81070

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Not sure about the GPU (but I'd like to know), but I can say that bad memory could cause the problem, and so could the system board. If they're coming out to fix it, it's probably more cost effective to replace the lot than mess about with just one part and perhaps coming back 3 days later to replace another.

if the GPU is indeed a separate component and turns out to be the root of the problem, then they'll have to come back in that case as well, dadgummit. ;)

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I guess they'll replace the gpu at the same time as the motherboard. I can't see them replacing everything else but that and the dvd drive anyway!

So it's definitely an MXM card type thing? Gives me hope it'll one day be upgradable if it is.

Cuprous

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
I guess they'll replace the gpu at the same time as the motherboard. I can't see them replacing everything else but that and the dvd drive anyway!

So it's definitely an MXM card type thing? Gives me hope it'll one day be upgradable if it is.

I dropped off my 24" freezer at my local apple store. They were able to reproduce the freeze and concluded that a hardware repair was needed. I asked what was going to be done and they claim the graphic card would be repalced and if this didn't solve the problem they would then replace the logic board. They wouldn't replace both at the same time.

I should have the computer back on Monday so only time will tell if this will solve the problem.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Im glad the issue is finally getting some more press again.
However, its press from AppleInsider. Which for the past couple of years have become somewhat notorious for publishing complete and utter crap.

It appears that story was submitted by a user/reader. And really, their guess is as good as anyone elses.

IE, don't take it too literally.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Its hardly a piece of in-depth reporting and presents nothing in the way of actual evidence, but is at least good that its being kept in the headlines.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
If Apple does confirm this problem, it could be REALLY expensive for Apple because they'll have to recall the vast majority of the new iMacs out there to replace the graphics chips. :(

Not necessarily.

All they'd really have to do is release an update which increases fan speeds 10% or so. I'll bet that would solve some problems ...

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
All they'd really have to do is release an update which increases fan speeds 10% or so. I'll bet that would solve some problems ...

I don't think that would do it.

I use that smfancontrol program on mine to increase the fan speeds and it didn't help.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Im glad the issue is finally getting some more press again.
However, its press from AppleInsider. Which for the past couple of years have become somewhat notorious for publishing complete and utter crap.

It appears that story was submitted by a user/reader. And really, their guess is as good as anyone elses.

IE, don't take it too literally.

I've always found AppleInsider to be fairly accurate. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Our very own MacRumors has now pointed to their story at any rate so I don't think they share your low opinion of them:

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/08/freezing-imac-issue-due-to-hardware/

I just hope you guys get your freezing machines fixed/replaced ASAP and I'm also crossing my fingers that my own so-far flawlessly running iMac remains that way for the duration of its life.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Its hardly a piece of in-depth reporting and presents nothing in the way of actual evidence, but is at least good that its being kept in the headlines.

Actually, I think the article was totally based around the "evidence" of a guy who had his video chipset replaced and it magically cured his freezing.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
But remember, the problem can:

1. Happen from a cold boot
2. Disappear for weeks on-end and then re-appear despite there being no change in software usage
3. Occur when there's nothing more demanding than the desktop being loaded

All very strange.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
AI certainly used to be pretty good. Not so these days I find. It appears they have teamed up with the Macnn bunch, hence similar low quality of news now.
They don't post much news that isn't based on analysts best guesses (Folks that are paid to guess). Or news that users themselves have submitted (people like you & I that can make a best guess without being paid).

Either way, its just that for the most part.. Guesses. Or just plain old stating the obvious, which this site does a lot of as well now.

Either way, its not really my idea of genuine news. Which is a shame, because as I said, AI certainly used to be much better than it is now.

Anyway, im not saying that it is not a hardware problem. Its just that AI really doesnt know any better than anyone else does right now, because they dont have any more info about the problem than you or I do.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
AI certainly used to be pretty good. Not so these days I find. It appears they have teamed up with the Macnn bunch, hence similar low quality of news now.
They don't post much news that isn't based on analysts best guesses (Folks that are paid to guess). Or news that users themselves have submitted (people like you & I that can make a best guess without being paid).

Either way, its just that for the most part.. Guesses. Or just plain old stating the obvious, which this site does a lot of as well now.

Either way, its not really my idea of genuine news. Which is a shame, because as I said, AI certainly used to be much better than it is now.

Anyway, im not saying that it is not a hardware problem. Its just that AI really doesnt know any better than anyone else does right now, because they dont have any more info about the problem than you or I do.

OK, well let's just hope Apple comes out and more openly engages this problem as soon as possible. Even if it is just gossip from a rumor site at this point if the heat gets high enough and the word spreads far enough perhaps Apple will have to get their butts in gear to officially counter it.

One thing no one is arguing is that an actual problem exists and Apple doesn't seem to be properly addressing it yet for all of those affected.

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I don't really care if it's hardware or software, I only care for a fix.

- If it's hardware, Apple should aknowledge this and ask people to turn in their defective iMac(s)
- If it's software, Apple should aknowledge this and release patches as soon as possible.

But remaining silent and letting "victims" freak out on this isn't really dealing with the problem.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I don't really care if it's hardware or software, I only care for a fix.

- If it's hardware, Apple should aknowledge this and ask people to turn in their defective iMac(s)
- If it's software, Apple should aknowledge this and release patches as soon as possible.

But remaining silent and letting "victims" freak out on this isn't really dealing with the problem.

That's really the issue now isn't it? Its one thing to discover a problem and then be open and honest about the problem and work with customers to resolve this and another to sit blithely back and try to discover a solution on your own all the while ignoring your customers and denying that there is a problem. THen again, iMac sales would plunge if they were more open about the issue.

CIrawI3riCIge

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
USA

So you're sad for a company instead of the misfortunate people who received potentially defective computers? Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.