iMac freezes fully at random times (late 2012)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DanielYilmaz, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DanielYilmaz macrumors member

Not sure whats going on the screen completely freezes. Sometimes when im watching a video on youtube the screen freezes but you can still hear sound. Ive also had it where a video freezes and so does the sound. It also happens when playing games.

When I say it freezes I mean the whole screen is frozen. There is no beach ball or anything its just frozen the mouse doesnt move or anything. It does this for a minute or so.

Ive tried resetting the smc and it works for a day and then it freezes again. Ive tried shutting it down and turning it on. I dont want to do a fresh install of osx as it will be a pain to re install all my programs.

Anyone know what the issue is and has it happened to them ?

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

See if the Console Logs show anything after it freezes.... Console is located in the Application Folder > Utilities > Console.app

3. DanielYilmaz thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what im looking for but it froze at 23:47 and it said at 23:35 there was a unrecognized leaf certificate then at 23:49 I got these http://prntscr.com/2ik36i not sure what they are.

4. raucous2000uk macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with a mbp late 2011. I read that it is meant to be related to USB issues but I have not got anything attached.

The MBP loses internet connection and then starts to freeze up while the the dreaded pinwheel appears. Then nothing works leaving me no choice but to hard restart. Its happening very regularly.. 10 times a day at least

Can anyone clarify?

5. coolerooney macrumors newbie

imac freezes ati 2600 WORKAROUND

Imac 24" mid 2007, mavericks- freezing again after memory increase
    did all the "updates"- no succes or "is not required for this computer" message

now "solved" by keeping itunes open, minimalized
    not elegant, but works
    suspect it keeps the video card busy, so it not falls of its rocks
    has not frozen since

Coolerooney

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Those GPU's were notorious for freezing when released. Apple kept throwing firmware updates at it until the issue was resolved to their satisfaction.