imac freezes on startup at desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 124c41, May 24, 2010.

1. 124c41 macrumors member

it will not allow me to advance beyond the desktop , it will not respond to repeated restarts...
    everything is functional but i cannot access anything after reaching the desktop...
    10.6.2.snowleopard blah blah blah etc
    i cannot get it to respond after reaching the desktop, none of the topbar functions respond at all to anything ...
    is there any keyboard command i can try? thanks...
    this is being typed on an old pc i had laying around...

2. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

3. 124c41 thread starter macrumors member

what is AE?
    cannot install or access anything...
    this dam'd thing has frozen up completely and will not respond to any mouse actions...(tried 2 different mice)
    it simply stays on the desktop and no functions on the topbar (?) will respond in any way at all...
    all i wan't to do now is get it cleaned off and running so i can dispose of it , i'm tired of the never ending quirks and problems that i've encountered since i wasted 2K on this thing...
    any help appreciated...thanks...

4. 124c41 thread starter macrumors member

ok, 'options' on startup brings up the HD icon but neither mouse gets a response when clicking on it...
    'D' on startup does nothing at all... any ideas ?

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Call Apple and they will have you boot of the install dvd and try to repair the disk. You may have a bad hd.

6. 124c41 thread starter macrumors member

woke up about 1 am, said !@#$%^&* and DAS...
    found how to boot to safe mode (shift key held from startup for those who don't know) found and fixed the problem in less then 2 minutes , ran onyx, shut down...
    back online now SS/DD...

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

8. wonderwoman36 macrumors newbie

Having the same problem!

Just yesterday, I started having the same problem. Startup takes me all the way to the desktop and then the spinning ball starts and I am unable to do anything. Cmd option esc doesn't work, restarted several times, nothing works. Haven't tried booting in safemode. And what is onyx? Another thing I have to go and buy? Sigh.

9. meerkat35 macrumors newbie

wonderwoman, don't buy anything yet, if you have AppleCare call them immediately. I believe Apple is in the know of the problem and I am going through the same situation and have tried everything.

10. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

onyx is a free all-in-one app that does things such as delete cached data and repair disk permissions. It won't help you if you can't even boot to the OS though. I would try to boot into safe mode to help determine if it's hardware/software related.