imac freezes/screen dosen't work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trailofdan, Apr 16, 2009.

1. trailofdan macrumors newbie

Hi

I've got a major problem with my old 20" apple mac 2ghz (this is not a intel machine). This is my main machine. Can you guys help me?

I switched it on and everything seemed fine then the machine froze on me-so I switched it off by holding down the power button and re-started the iMac but nothing appeared on the screen-it remained black and it sounded like the fans were working too fast-they sounded a lot louder than normal. So I switched it off again. I've just turned it back on and everything seemed fine but it froze again!

Does anyone know whats going on with it or how I can fix it. I have the latest version of Leopard installed on it.

Many thanks
    Dan

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Do a search using the term "capacitors" . . . you probably have one or more on the logic board and/or power supply that have failed from the legendary industrial espionage snafu of the early 21st Century.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

a trip to your local apple store is in order. www.apple.com/retail to find it and make an appointment!

I hope you might have AppleCare on the machine still, it could be quite costly if it requires a Logic Board, or power inverter replacement. Possibly worth buying a new machine for the cost of what they will charge to fix it.

Moral here, is if you didn't buy applecare, buy it.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. raziel777 macrumors regular

Do you have an external drive you can try booting up from?
    This would help you determine if it's the internal drive.