iMac freezes when connecting external Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bairdc3, Apr 7, 2008.

1. bairdc3 macrumors newbie

I have a newer iMac 24" bought in 11/2007. I have the mini-dvi to vga converter and when I connect it to a external tv capable of 1024x768, the iMac freezes and does nothing. I disconnect and the screen turns blue and the flickers back on and everything works. I have made the connection then booted up, and I have tried every resolution all the way down to 640x480, same thing it just locks up the screen, but again as soon as I unplug the mini-dvi to vga cable from the iMac it flicks to a blue screen and everything comes back. I have reviewed dmesg nothing, and revieiw /var/log/messages. Is there any troubleshooting I can do. I am old school unix/linux guy just converted my family to Apple and would like to use the display on my tv to watch my iTunes movies.

2. flyinthesky macrumors newbie

Maybe you can try it at another monitor

3. bairdc3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night I connected another external monitor and it worked fine. I also connected the TV to a Linux box and it worked fine. So I am not sure what could be happening with when I connect the TV into the iMac? Are there any other logs in the OS that could show anything?

4. rajid macrumors member

My new Macbook Pro does this

My new Macbook Pro does this about 50% of the time. I finally found that closing the lid, thus putting it to sleep, then connecting the external monitor and keyboard, which wakes it back up automatically, works. Unfortunately, I really wanted both screens at once. :(