iMac freezes when connecting to network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pablo87va, Apr 2, 2018.

1. pablo87va macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have an old iMac (model a1224 - 2008-2009) and I got a RAM upgrade for it to 4GB and a new 1TB hard drive.
    I've installed a fresh Mac OS X 10.6 (kernel is 10.0.0) and everything seems to be fine with the installation, the OS runs smoothly but I detected that when I tried to connect to any WiFi network, the OS just freezes, I can't do anything and I just see the spinning wheel, so I can only do a force shut down.

I thought it might be something related to the Airport card, so I removed it completely and I tried the same but with an Ethernet cable, and it happened exactly the same.

So discarted the Airport issue, it looks like it's a general issue related to any connection, when I start up the computer I can run any program and all just works! Issue appears anytime I connect it to any network, wireless or wired.

I've searched quite a lot on the internet but I can't find any clue, so I'm running out of ideas.
    I would appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot.
    Pablo

2. Lunder89 macrumors 6502

Lunder89

Is it 10.6.0? if so, try downloading the combo update 10.6.8 from another computer and install that.

3. pablo87va thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is 10.6.0.

I have to say that I found out something to make it work, not sure if it will be just a workaround or a final solution, but I set an static IP (I thought it might be something related to DHCP) and in the same time I changed the priority of the network cards, and I set Bluetooth the last one, whereas Ethernet the first priority.

Enabled back the interface and worked, I even restarted a couple of times and Internet was still there without no freezes.

If it appears again I guess I'll install 10.6.8

Thanks for your response!