IMac freezes when using Safari

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I haven't been able to look at this yet, but I have someone asking me for help with an iMac. Its a core2duo, upgraded from 2gb to 4. And from 320 to 500 on the had. It has a clean install of Snow Leopard. I bought this used for my dad, so I don't really know much about the machine. Anyway, he keeps telling me it is freezing up on him, usually(I think always), when using Safari. He gets the spinning beach ball, and I don't know how much time he gives it before he forces it to shut down by holding the power button.

He has a very slow, crappy, wireless Internet provider. Is it possible Safari is just having issues because the pages are loading too slowly?

I am hoping to look at it soon, but wanted some ideas on what to look for/at when I go over there.

FurryFoxMacuser

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
What version of lion are you running? I had this problem when I was running lion 10.1.7 and then did the upgrade to 10.2.7 and everything has been fine since then.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It has the latest Snow Leopard on it, but I was thinking of upgrading it o Lion.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
As a suggestion, download/install/use Firefox as default Web browser. If it works, you know its Safari application problem. If it hangs with Firefox, its probably a non Safari problem.

If Safari is proven the problem, suggest looking at its System - Extensions. Disable and/or remove its extensions. See if that helps further diagnose the iMac system hangs. If corrupted Safari file (due to a HDD problem), perhaps deleting Safari and downloading new version (using Firefox application) might fix it?

If wondering, my iMac uses SL & Safari (and recommended patches on both) and it works great. No need to upgrade to Lion - unless you really have to.

Hope this helps...

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
As a suggestion, download/install/use Firefox as default Web browser. If it works, you know its Safari application problem. If it hangs with Firefox, its probably a non Safari problem.

If Safari is proven the problem, suggest looking at its System - Extensions. Disable and/or remove its extensions. See if that helps further diagnose the iMac system hangs. If corrupted Safari file (due to a HDD problem), perhaps deleting Safari and downloading new version (using Firefox application) might fix it?

If wondering, my iMac uses SL & Safari (and recommended patches on both) and it works great. No need to upgrade to Lion - unless you really have to.

Hope this helps...
Thank you. I did recommend that he download Firefox, but he doesn't use it because hits bookmarks are in Safari:eek:. But I will keep your suggestions in mind when I get over to look at it. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.