iMac Freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superpalmtree, Jul 5, 2012.

1. superpalmtree macrumors regular

Hello. My iMac (see below sig), will freeze for about 5 seconds whenever loading a video, (You Tube for example). I primarily use Chrome but it happens in Safari too. The entire computers freezes for up to 5 seconds and then starts working again once the video starts. Anyone have any ideas?

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

It might be an interesting exercise to view the Activity Monitor while this "freeze" is going on. Could be the system is doing real work but the CPU is momentarily pegged, thus appearing frozen.

3. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...I tested that and the CPU isn't even getting a sweat....I never seem to make this iMac sweat as far as the CPU goes, but the 16GB ram at times gets low...but even with 15GB free ram and 1% cpu use the videos seem to pause..after that initial pause it works but then if I wait an hour or reboot the initial one pauses again...mostly see it on youtube.

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Interesting. How about trying the same test only this time look at the network activity. Or maybe you've already tried that?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you switch over to the YouTube HTML5 trial via http://www.youtube.com/html5 , do you get the same freeze?

Also, have you tried creating a new user account and testing in that?

6. icoffee macrumors regular

It's a bug in webkit - the frameworks for safari and chrome. Download firefox and see if that helps for now