iMac freezing? But no virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kurbkilla, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Kurbkilla Guest

Hello all I need Some help please. I have a 2008 24" iMac and for the past month I have had a problem where when I open some projects in archicad the whole computer would bog down and freeze up I could move the mouse but I could not click anything. Over time it has moved from an annoyance to a real problem. I have ran a virus scan many time an there are non so we took the computer to the apple store so they could do a full diagnostic and it was returend less then a week ago with nothing showing showing up as a problem. Now the computer freezes after I start the computer I can't click anything even trying to open the hard drive is an ordeal I have to wait 5 min. for it to open I know it is not a space are memory problem because we have move file off the computer for safety sake

so please if anyone can help that would be very much appreciated
    thank you again

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Guess it's a sad commentary on Windows that anytime there's something wrong "virus" is the first thing to come to mind.

Your problem looks like a hard drive problem or a RAM problem. Do a verify disk in Disk Utility and see if it says anything. Check the S.M.A.R.T. status, does it say anything?

Also test your RAM - see here (best) or use Rember (easier). If either memtest or Rember reports errors or crashes during testing, you know your RAM is bad.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

well, its impossible to have a virus

better luck finding a unicorn in your backyard.

My first advice would have been to delete Archicads plists and preference files, since thats where the problem started

The rest of your Mac worked fine until you started Arch.

If the plist trashing didnt work, I would have just re-installed Arch.

2 things I would try:

1) a new user. create a new user and see how the imac runs.

2) archive and install. more drastic, but you kinda got yourself there by trying to fix your iMac, when it was most likely Arch that was causing the issue.