iMac freezing...need update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chadwik147, Jan 20, 2010.

1. chadwik147 macrumors newbie

Hey. I have an older iMac, 2006 white version, running leopard.

I am one of the many people who experience semi-frequent freezes which forces me to manually power the machine down. After much research it seems everyone has diagnosed the problem has hardware, specifically the graphics card running hot. I installed smcFancontrol and have ran it for four to five months. Since then I have experienced maybe 4 or 5 freezes, but the freeze occurs while doing nothing "heavy", just browsing in safari or chrome.

my question: Has there been any updated or new information concerning this problem? I have scanned the web a little and can't really find anything really recent. The most recent article/discussion i have found is roughly a year old.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i dont think theres been any mention of it from apple,

i've been having the same problem, only possible solution without spending a lot of money is running smc, keep it on at about 2000-3000rpm for the cpu and HD fans, dont worry about the superdrive fan, and it should be alright,

have you been getting random lines across your screen?
    and what gfx card is your machine running? mines got a nvidia geforce 7300Gt
    i think i read somewhere that the problem is limited to those graphics cards, you could upgrade to a 7600GT but i couldnt find any on ebay at all