iMac freezing on startup for a few minutes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumzo1, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2009 24" iMac that almost always freezes on boot up. First it takes an usually long time to get to the desktop, sometime sitting on a gray screen for 3-5 minutes, then when the desktop appears all of my open on startup apps open normally, my menu bar utilities work fine, and I can move my mouse around. The mouse however will not let me click and keyboard input has no effect. I know its not a problem with the keyboard or mouse because I can mouse over my dock when its doing this and it does not magnify, its like the computer is in a different layer than the mouse and keyboard. It does this for another 5 minutes or so and then works normally. I almost always put my Mac to sleep and only shut down when I need to install updates, could this be affecting it?

It did this in snow leopard and at first I thought it was this game I had that was ported over to the mac using cider. Well when I installed lion I went through and completely zeroed out the hard drive and installed Lion fresh and even now it is still doing it so I'm convinced its not the operating system. Everything hardware wise on my Mac is stock and I have Apple Care so I can take it in if I need to. I just figured they would start out by reinstalling the OS which I've done multiple times since it started and never helps and would waste my time. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Levendis, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012

Levendis macrumors member

Levendis

I'm having this priblem now too!...

My iMac takes a long time to startup, when it finally goes to the desktop my keyboard and mouse won't work. This last 5-7 minutes then it finally works!

I'm not sure what it is... but I think it's software related...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

----------

I forgot to add that I'm running with Snow Leopard on a iMac Aluminum 2007.

3. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you have any external hard drives or other peripherals, unplug them, the cause of my problems ended up being a firewire drive that wasn't formatted correctly. Once I unplugged it the symptoms went away.

4. Levendis macrumors member

Levendis

Hi thanks for the response. But I think it's a software problem... maybe a virus or something..

I'm thinking of doing a clean install.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild. There are only a handful of avoidable trojans. Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

For performance issues: Performance Tips For Mac OS X